Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 18th, 2017, 10:41am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bighorn River, Montana (Read 1242 times)
T. Schleich

Bighorn River, Montana
May 26th, 2014, 2:48pm

I have been thinking about making a trip out Montana during my spring break for a few years now and it just never became a reality. I am lucky enough to have an uncle that lives on a ranch close to the Bighorn River, so my Mom and I booked the flight out to Billings and crashed at his place for the week of April 15. As most people would think that early spring is dull and the weather stinks. At the Bighorn, like many other tailwaters the air is cold, but the river temp remains fairly constant year round. The water was by no means warm, and hovered around 38 degrees. But most people aren't going to run out to the river when there's forty degree temps, that would just be stupid right. For me I enjoy the solitude of less people on the river and when the fishing is excellent in forty degree weather you can count me in.

I hadn't been on the Horn since my childhood days, so I had sort of forgotten the game of the river. After a few minutes on the horn it proved to be nothing short of what I remembered it to be. The first day on the river my Mom and I fished with one of Tim Church's guide friends. Tyler was a spectacular guide and recently set up shop on the Horn last year.  

Scotch Double

The rest of the week I spent on the shore and saw the same level of success that I did on the drift boat. Most days my Mom and I would land somewhere between 30-40 fish a day. The hot flies for the week were any assortment of midges and baetis nymphs. When the hatch was coming off I got a kick out of swinging soft hackles and watching the fish fight over it as it swung through the seams.  

Tyler
  IP Logged
lternullo
Board Member

Re: Bighorn River, Montana
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2014, 9:12pm

Well alright Tyler! That's a whole lot of quality fish you tied into there. The Bighorn can really produce when the fish turn on.  Nice variety and good size of fish you and your mother caught. Congratulations and thanks for sharing photos.

Lou T

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print