Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 15th, 2017, 9:24pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Surf Report Carpinteria 3/22/14 (Read 1220 times)
lternullo
Board Member

Surf Report Carpinteria 3/22/14
Mar 24th, 2014, 9:45pm

Well, I checked the tide tables on Friday and thought I would give it a shot on Saturday 3/22.  I fished for two hours and honed my casting skills. Then around ten o'clock I finally got picked up by what I thought was a fat female perch. Turned out to be a small halibut 13-14 inches. Fun on my 6 wt. Caught it on a red Gremie. Then I fished my way back to where I started without another bite. The seaweed was getting bad, so I packed up and left. A real grey day, but it sure beats pulling weeds! I expect the bite to pick up soon with the spring spawn, but I have not heard many positive reports lately.

Lou T

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: Surf Report Carpinteria 3/22/14
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2014, 7:42am

It should be soon!  Down south they are already stalking beans out of the troughs on the new sand crab beds.  April 1st is usually thought of as the time for the perch run here abouts; but that can be variable. Looks like some good structure from the weather earlier this month.  With two sets of fruit on the apricot trees this is a weird spring to predict....you are right the weeds can wait!  My best tip yet is to watch for morning and late afternoon tides where it is dropping out to a low tide( try "tides4fishing solar lunar charts).  The little halibut is a good sign that some baby perch have  been dropped by big momma.    LEW

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print