Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 10th, 2017, 11:27pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flathead River in September (Read 2303 times)
fsurber
Board Member

Flathead River in September
Jul 30th, 2013, 3:10pm

I am considering a trip up to the Flathead and Kootenai River area in late September 2013. Has anyone fished that area that time of year? Any advice on guides or outfitters? We plan to fish out of Kalispel for 4 or 5 days.

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Flathead River in September
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2013, 12:22pm

I already sent you this information Frank but I though I'd post it here too.

John Chisholm, 406 544-2888

He guides in that area and will take good care of you.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2013, 1:55pm

Quote from fsurber on Jul 30th, 2013, 3:10pm:
I am considering a trip up to the Flathead and Kootenai River area in late September 2013. Has anyone fished that area that time of year? Any advice on guides or outfitters? We plan to fish out of Kalispel for 4 or 5 days.

Greetings.

Insofar as the Flathead, I've not fished it since mid June. We took a day float on the middle fork out of Glacier Guides, Montana Raft Inc. Nothing of monumental size on that trip; however, we could not keep track of numbers. Nate, our guide, knew the river, the fish, and was an expert on the sticks. We were into the cutts from the first cast and all day long on the dry. Check out the website for Glacier Guides for further inf0. I've not fished it in the fall as of yet so I'd recommend you contact them or Mr. Chisholm. I've been concentrating more on rivers South of late. Blackfoot, "Bitterroot", Clarks Fork, The Swan and some smaller tribs in the area. Heading to Yellowstone next week to play on the Madison for a few days.  Come fall, I'm spending a few days on Rock Creek before we snowbird out for the winter back to Cachuma.  

Respects, Mark (Fishstick) Polson, Mt.  

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2013, 6:44am

And Frank was wondering if ole Fishstick was about there still lurking because he wanted to know something about the Flathead.  Good to hear from you Flathead!  Hope you are doing well     LEW

IP Logged
fsurber
Board Member

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2013, 10:01am

Thanks for the inputs. We talked to several guide shops in the area and none seemed too enthusiastic about the Flathead for that time of year. They recommended doing the Missouri, Blackfoot, Clark's Fork, and Bitterroot - out of their shops of course.
Sounds like that's what your doing too, Mark.
In any case, we have decided to fish the Green in Utah and the Snake out of Jackson, WY instead.
Maybe we'll try the Flathead on a summer trip one of these days.

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2013, 12:23pm

Weird as I've not checked in for several months but something was calling me. Go figure.
Ya, no surprise. I'm still learning the waters in this area and will most likely be in that mode for a few years given the vast amount of water to cover up here. Missouri, Blackfoot and the root are all under considerable pressure which tends to taper off in the fall some. We have been on the hunt for the lessor known waters and have a couple tucked away for the fall. We are planning a late spring trip next season on a more remote section of the Flathead. Were flying into a remote back country ranger station with the pontoons followed by a multiple day float back to civilization. Should be fun.

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2013, 4:28pm

Welcome back Fishstick, it's been awhile.  Smiley

Good to hear your enjoying the fishing that part of Montana has to offer.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print