Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2017, 10:04am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
East Walker and Hot Creek (Read 2390 times)
Surf to SY

East Walker and Hot Creek
Jul 5th, 2012, 11:11pm

Tyler and I took a trip up to the Eastern Sierras recently and fished primarily on the East Walker and Hot Creek. The water was low and the wind wasn't too bad, and when the fish began sipping emergers, we switched to dries. For the rest of the trip, we fished dries almost exclusively, and saw great success on both Hot Creek and the East Walker.  

From the moment the sun was on the water until noon in Bridgeport, the big browns on the Walker took tan/pink PMD's on the surface. This was some of the most exciting fishing we have ever done, with browns rising to our flies less than a rod's length away. After noon, the hatch switched to Caddis, but the fish were just as eager to come to an Elk Hair or Outrigger Caddis. Emerger droppers produced as well, but the takes were extremely subtle, so it was necessary to watch beneath the dry fly for a flash or a white mouth to detect hits on the emerger.  

On Hot Creek, the tactics were the exact same, except the PMD hatch stopped at 10:30, and Caddis soon followed. In very slow water close to the Ranch however, these flies were refused, but switching to more accurate surface film cripples or the classic Griffith's gnat produced results. Once it was too dark to see flies, we switched to Chernobyl Ants and dragged them across the surface. The fish would chase and slash after them until they were hooked. Overall it was a great trip, and we couldn't have asked for better. To top it off, on the last day as we were about to leave, Tyler hooked a fish, and almost immediately, I did the same 10 yards upriver. We brought them both in at the same time for a double to cap the trip.

Email   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: East Walker and Hot Creek
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2012, 6:09am

What can I say.....so special to see you guys are at it like you ought to be.  The art of fly fishing  is alive and well with smiling young men holding familar trout from beloved waters.    
                                                                                                  Thanks for the post! LEW

IP Logged
lingcod
Board Member

Re: East Walker and Hot Creek
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2012, 8:45pm

My post is 3 months LATE but my excitement is no less diminished after reading your report and seeing the fish you brought in.

I agree with Lew, It is great to see you and Tyler out there enjoying the sport.

"The longer your cast the longer your line is in the water fishing". Lew Riffle
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print