Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 1:01pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Casitas (Read 3557 times)
bodfish

Casitas
Oct 14th, 2011, 9:27am

Is there an argument to be made for tubing or tooning at casitas. Technically there is no bodily contact. We are in waders. Kayaking is allowed. The concession even rents them. Hmmmm who do I talk to?

bodfish

Email   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: Casitas
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2011, 8:09am

You can tube at Casitas (especially if you work for the water district).  The problem with Casitas is their Quagga Mussel inspections.Undoubtedly the toughest in the state. It's chore in the ridulous to get your water craft approved for use on the lake.  It's got to be clean and dry for10 ten days unless it is a bucket of crawdads that they never question anyone about bringing it in to the lake for bait so you can kill that 10 pound bass.  

Who do you talk to?....the idiots who run(are ruining) the lake. Oh by the way this is the water district that destroyed the Ventura River for steelhead. They are no friend to the fish.            
                                                                                                                LEW

IP Logged
bodfish

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2011, 11:29am

Thanks Lew,  
do I read you right ? I can toon Casitas? or were you being facetious ? If I can I would be willing to jump their hoops if I could get on.
I basically grew up on Casitas and Love that lake.

As a side bar:

The quagga issue is perhaps the most dangerous and difficult threat to not only the reservoir but to our ( the public ) access. The nasty little bastard is costing billions nationally to our water distribution and treatment system. Money, a small water district like Casitas can ill afford. A completely restricted policy is still the best recommended course of action for bodies of water not yet contaminated, and it was and is still an option for the water district. They chose a strict quarantine method. So to me their quarantine policy, though flawed, seems little to pay for continued access.  
      Lew, you speak of the water district with a lot of venom and I agree to a point they are not friends of the river (or lake) and consequently the fish. But they are a water district. Their main concerns are, supply, distribution, and quality, for their customers, (that would be us) FIRST!  
      Painful as it is we are in bed with the district if we are to continue to enjoy one of the premiere fisheries in the country. Anything we wish to accomplish will be done with their cooperation and help.

I don't like it either,but there it is.  

bodfish  

PS  
    I shamefully admit that I have not been an active enough citizen regarding these issues up till now, but hope to remedy that forthwith. Also I believe there are already rules regarding transporting non-indigenous live bait to Casitas, such as crawdads, I think that is why they are no longer sold at the bait shop. Of course I don"t know how well these rules are enforced. (checking buckets?)  Perhaps it should be brought to the districts or parks attention.?

PPS
    I have been doing some research after you posted the thread about the Matilija Dam. and I am a bit worried about some of the declared intents of the groups involved. Not all of them are declaring restoring the river for recreational fishing use, but simply "historic flows". The rhetoric seems a bit vague as to the rivers use when and if historic flows are reestablished. My suspicion is the undeclared intent is to create a preserve. SHADES OF THE MLPs!! We must choose our allies carefully.

bodfish

Email   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2011, 8:11am

As far as know self propelled wartercraft are still allowed on Casitas.  
No argument that Quagga pose a severe threat  to the operations of water districts from a functional point of view. If it were a biological/ecological threat do you think that they would be inspecting boats the way they are now?  Access to the lake for recreation is a mandate in the creation of the lake in the first place. If you love Casitas you can have watercraft especially dedicated to it I guess. Love the dream that Casitas is a priemer fishery but trust me CWD could care less about it.  Like you said they area small waterdistrict that can "ill afford".  My venomn comes from the fact that they  play both sides of the issue.Big time actions and small time excuses.  For serving 70 thousand or so housholds they have sure have sacrificed the Ventura River watershed like  they were serving ten times that.  Money talks in the end and most of the time they are speaking out of both ends to make ends meet. Promises to get it and excuses not to comply.
  Try this experiment.  Have a 5 gallon bucket with some water in it and go into Casitas. Go to  the launch ramp, park,  pull it out and walk down to the docks with it.  See if anybody stops you.  I did this twice(separate days) and never got stopped a  couple years ago. Even with Rangers there.  
  The restoration of the Ventura River as a recreational fishery is a low priority.  As a fishery with wild steelhead yes.  Don't make the assumption that there is going to be any recreational fishing with the Matilija Dam coming down. That's beyond our lifetimes and hopefully beyond the stupidity of CWD.                   LEW

IP Logged
bodfish

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2011, 7:18pm

copy that!! we're on the same channel!

bodfish

Email   IP Logged
bodfish

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2011, 7:22pm

PS,. I am going to see what it takes to put a pontoon boat ( Kickboat ) on the water. I am hoping that it won't be too prohibitive. We'll see. I will get back to you.

bodfish

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2011, 10:34am

Would really like to see a report on what it takes to fish Casitas from a tube or pontoon. A kick boat, especially a pvc or urethane, exterior and no frame, is easy to completely dry out and less likely to carry an invasive species a than a reel or the line on it. I'll bet they don't inspect reels.  Roll Eyes

While I can appreciate measures being taken to protect waters from invasive species all the ones I've seen are so flawed its ridiculous. The scenario Lew described with the dumping buckets of water and people bringing in live bait is typical. Cachuma is very restrictive about bring watercraft into the lake but, did you know, you can bring in a 3 foot model boat with a water cooled engine and lot of interior space to trap water with no inspection or regulation! I wonder if they allow them at Casitas; they do in most lakes!

Another thing irritates me is the thinking felt soles trap more water than the stitching, uppers material, insides, insoles, laces, holes in rubber soles, screw threads and spaces between metal cleats and rubber, space between upper and sole; ridiculous! Modern felt soles dry out faster than any other part of a wading boot including the trap spaces (mentioned above) of rubber soles. In my opinion, rubber soled wading shoes are more likely to carry invasive species than felt soles. Think about it, you have two pieces of wet material like that used in wading shoe uppers and insoles; you cover one with rubber and the other with modern synthetic felt: which one will dry first?

One of the additional risks of transmitting invasive species with rubber soled wading shoes is people think because they have rubber soles they don't have to worry when they should worry more!

Regulators and legislators will continue to make "rules" that will not solve problems, may be totally ineffective and in some cases make them worse. Ignorance may be bliss, but the problems keep increasing.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
bodfish

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2011, 8:59pm

I don't ever recall seeing a RC boat at Casitas.
     The whole felt thing may be a throwback to the snail debacle ongoing in the Inyo /Mono county waters where mud was the big concern. Again not well thought out.
     Everyone is still trying to figure out what is the best course of action. The invasive species problem is expanding exponentially and quite frankly whatever we do can only forestall the inevitable.  
     God help us if the pike get into the American/Sacramento river systems or the delta.

At present I am waiting for my pontoons to arrive from Bucks' Bags and then I will make an attempt to launch at Casitas. Will let you know what happens.

bodfish

PS  
    reel inspections ?! Please don't go there.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print