Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 8:23pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
8 wt. rod (Read 3578 times)
bodfish

8 wt. rod
Oct 5th, 2011, 2:10am

Hey everybody!  
 i am in the market for an 8wt. rod for stripers. is anyone trying to sell one?
    bodfish

Email   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: 8 wt. rod
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2011, 6:18am

Sung is selling his 8wt setup on the Bulla board http://www.garybulla.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5147....LEW

IP Logged
bodfish

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2011, 8:17pm

Thnx not a member of Bulla's board so couldn't respond there to Sung does he frequent this
 board?  

bodfish

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2011, 1:30pm

The The St Croix Legend Ultra is a sweet rod and the warranty on their factory rods is great. You don't even have to be the original owner if you pay their $50 fee ($20 if your the original owner) or you can order a tip section for $30. The only question I would ask: is that a factory or custom build? It looks like it has single foot guides and I thought they (7 wt and up) came with snake guides?

Would be a nice outfit depending on how much he's asking.

Another thought, Eric at the Artful Angler carries Redington. A 4 piece 8wt Pursuit is only $119 with a lifetime warranty; a whole outfit with reel and case is only $189. They are nice rods and pretty fast.

Don't think Sung visits here.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
ryan15
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2011, 11:27am

Bodfish,

Welcome to the forum, I sent you a PM about a rod I might be selling. Also, if you decide to go new, I always try to persuade people into buying American, if possible. There are some nice entry level sages that are made in the US that are reasonably priced (the vantage and flight are good rods. I have the flight and love it.), St. Croix is also american made and if you decide to go that route, the Kelly Galloup Bank Robber would probably be a great rod for stripers. Also Scott has the A4 which is American made.  

Like Joe said, Eric at the Artful Angler can get a hold of most anything and get your lines set up nicely.  

Just my 2 cents and probably worth less,

Ryan

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2011, 12:30pm

While it's nice to buy American, many American Companies have some of their products made in other countries.  The St Croix Imperial and Rio Samto models are made in Mexico. The Winston Vapor is made in China. Far Bank, the owner of Sage and Redington has their Redington line made in China.

Is it so bad to buy from an American company that has some of their products made in another country? The good side is these companies employ Americans to design and staff their company and those products can save you a lot of money. I don't mind buying from from an American company that has some of their stuff manufactured outside the country.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
ryan15
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2011, 1:45pm

I reply with trepidation, in that I don't want to get into a philosophical or ideological debate. But, no I don't think it is horrible to buy a foreign rod, as I have 1 or 2 and I am aware that Winston, Redington, and St. Croix sell foreign products, as does Simms and Patagonia and almost every other company in the FF biz.  But as of late I try to buy domestic goods whenever possible or within my price range. Also I would rather save little and buy a domestic product, than succumb to my urge for instant gratification for a foreign made one.  To me, at a time when many people are fighting for work, the cause of which I'm not going to discuss, it makes sense to my mind that if we support domestic manufacturing then companies may observe this preference and choose to bring jobs ashore which may in turn creates more jobs As selling something with a smaller profit margin is better than selling nothing with a large margin.  

Let me stop before I get to ranting. In short, I think the benefits of buying a domestic product in many cases outweigh instant gratification, but no there in nothing wrong with foreign goods. So I guess when I said I try to persuade people, I meant I try to make people aware of their options for comparable products that are made here.  

Ryan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print