Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 8:12pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carp and other wonders (Read 1349 times)
fflutterffly

Carp and other wonders
May 27th, 2011, 3:13pm

I finally made it up to the San Y for a day of fishing. New place, new waters and a fantastic view of the beauty. I started at the washed up bridge, working my way up to the first set of riffles. A good wade while throwing wet flies. Almost to the point where the flow began two kayakers paddled up and asked if they could 'go through.' I said yes and they proceeded to try and paddle their way up the way to shallow riffle. Crashing through the water, so lazy not to climb out and portage through the tiny gap, paddles hammering against rock, just causing so much noise! Hole ruined if fish were there at all.
Furious, I bit my tongue and climbed to the next large pool where I saw some lovely pocket water, all be it mossy. I was in heaven! But I still had not seen any fish. Suddenly my fishing pal pointed, began to pant heavily and cried out CARP!!!! My heart sank since I had only my two wt and a handful of wets.
The day ended with me only seeing one trout, looking to be at least 12". However, the adventure to new water was all worth the drive.

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: Carp and other wonders
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2011, 5:48am

From reports from friends in the club the Carp more willing to bite right now.  Try a damsel fly or dragon fly nymph and what is with the 2wt?  The mighty Santa Ynez has some big tuggers. Go back and be ready!  Got a bike?    LEW

IP Logged
fflutterffly

Re: Carp and other wonders
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2011, 5:29pm

The first time I fished here, years ago a 2wt would have done well, now I'm thinking I need my 5 or 6 with the size of the carp. Thanks for the tip on the flies.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print