Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 2:33pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mammoth Spring Fishing (Read 2660 times)
T. Schleich

Mammoth Spring Fishing
Apr 1st, 2011, 2:22pm

This Spring Break my Mom and I decided to do a dual fishing and skiing trip.  With the ideal warm weather and awesome fishing, the week couldn't have been better.  I fished Hot Creek three days and had some of the best days I have ever had on the river.  Seeing only two other fisherman the whole trip, we had the whole river to ourselves.  And not to mention the trout fed aggressively throughout the day.  The conditions were ideal.  I had three days where I caught around twenty fish, with at least three around eighteen inches, and lost some larger ones in the strands of weeds that are common in Hot Creek.  The fish are not picky this time of year and even my mom, a beginner was catching fish.  Pretty much any buggy nymph will get fish, however I found that a size 18 micro mayfly with a trailer of a size 22 zebra midge was irresistible.
           The only downfall was the walk to the river which is about a mile from where they closed the road due to a thin layer of slushy snow.  The snow should be gone in a week with the warm weather that Mammoth is expecting throughout the remainder of the season.  However, the river is very accessible, as there is no snow around the river or in the canyon.  
           I also fished the Upper Owens for two hours and it was extremely slow.  My Mom and I only caught four fish, all with a hairs ear.  The only excitement we experienced was when one of the Crowley Lake fish snapped my Mom's line by going under the undercut banks.

An Average Hot Creek Bow.

One of my bigger ones.

The Beautiful Hot Creek Bow.

One of the three big ones that I lost to the weeds.  My mom just happened to get a shot of him before he dove himself into the weeds.

I still managed to land the brownie after slipping

My Mom with a brownie.

Tyler
  IP Logged
T. Schleich

Re: Mammoth Spring Fishing
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2011, 2:24pm

Sorry about the blown up pictures on Photobucket.com there is only a thumbnail and full version for me to create a link from.

Tyler
  IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2011, 6:57am

Cool   spring break with a proper priority!

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:46am

Quote from T.Schleich_805 on Apr 1st, 2011, 2:24pm:
Sorry about the blown up pictures on Photobucket.com there is only a thumbnail and full version for me to create a link from.

There are many options and ways to post smaller pictures using photobucket.

You can reduce pictures before uploading to photobucket.

Your can upload at smaller sizes.

In addition, there are many links available on photobucket that are already created. You just need to copy an email or forum size version link.

There is a tutorial in the "Instructions and Help" section of this forum titled "How to post pictures":

http://www.sbflyfishers.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1149787266

Keep in mind, pictures need to be reduced in file size as well as physical size.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
lingcod
Board Member

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2011, 6:49pm

Tyler,

Thanks for the report and the great photos.

Joseph

"The longer your cast the longer your line is in the water fishing". Lew Riffle
Email   IP Logged
marfly

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2011, 12:57pm

Nice fish! Wish my hot creek trip had been as productive. Thanks for the post. Mark

Email marfly   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print