Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 10:39am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Santa Margarita crappie (Read 5486 times)
RooPhillip

Santa Margarita crappie
Mar 31st, 2011, 8:39pm

I'm a trout river/stream guy, but my bass gear-fishing buddy invited me out on a quick trip to Santa Margarita Lake today, so I said WTH?   Smiley  I've been wanting to branch out and pursue fish other than trout with the fly rod because it could help ease the pain waiting for the trout opener.  I threw some wooley buggers and streamers together and went looking for some bass with my buddy on his boat.  The lake is pretty mudded up obviously, and nobody we talked to was doing any good but my buddy caught a couple 2-3 pound bass and I caught a crappie on a wooley.  Not a bass, but not a trout either, so I guess I'm officially branching out!   Cheesy  

The bass fishing should be coming around there as the water clears, and the lake is 100% and spilling.  So far, the word is no trout stocking this year at Margarita, but there's also unconfirmed whispers about triploid trout stocking there, if they can find somebody who's willing to pay for it.

Here's a pic of the crappie.  A fun day!  And 88 degrees to boot!  I'm looking forward to trying it again out there.

Email   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: Santa Margarita crappie
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2011, 6:25am

Real Fish! Wink

IP Logged
lingcod
Board Member

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2011, 3:03pm

Hello,

Were you at Santa Claus Lane on Saturday?

You lived in Bishop but moved to SM?

Joseph

"The longer your cast the longer your line is in the water fishing". Lew Riffle
Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2011, 12:35pm

Joseph, You have RooPhillip confused with someone else, he wasn't the one that was there on Saturday.

RooPhillip, thanks so much for the report. I love fishing Santa Margarita and the crappie there can get really large! Santa Margarita is probably my favorite bass lake in California. I have had some great days there catching a lot of Bass, Crappie and trout as well as a ton of small bluegill. You even have a chance for striper, although it's rare. You can have a blast with a 2 wt fishing for the blugill. It's a great float tube lake. I really want to get up there this spring.  

I thought they (DFG) were stocking the lake with trout again? Didn't they stock last year? I know the DFG has been stocking triploid trout in some waters so I don't see why they couldn't stock Santa Margarita with them.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
RooPhillip

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2011, 10:05am

Hi Joe.

Our SLO fly club has an outing at Margarita tomorrow.  Like I said before I'm not a bass guy but hopefully tomorrow that will change!  I'll let you know how it goes!  Smiley

As for stocking Margarita, all I know is hearsay, but I think they stopped stocking again because they reevaluated the size of the lake, and when they did it fell back under the acreage limit of lakes that were exempt from the ban.  Plus they're concerned about stockers going over the spillway and competing with the mighty Salinas River steelhead run.   Wink  So I guess sterile triploids are OK to stock there, just nobody is sure if or when it'll happen.  I'll keep asking around.

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2011, 11:01am

Quote from RooPhillip on Apr 15th, 2011, 10:05am:
they're concerned about stockers going over the spillway and competing with the mighty Salinas River steelhead run.   Wink

There is a similar situation with The Santa Ynez which has Lake Cachuma and there is concern the trout stocked in the river above the lake will find their way down river, through the lake and somehow find their way over the dam and into the Santa Ynez  River below the lake. The Santa Ynez was a great steelhead river and there are still steelhead below the dam but the crazy part of this whole thing is the County and a private party still stock the lake! I guess they tell the trout they put in the lake to stay away from the dam so they don't fall over into the lower river and not to swim up river because they don't allow any stockers up there.   Roll Eyes

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
marfly

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2011, 12:53pm

Ive been wanting to get up to Santa Marg. Lake & now really want to.Ive not still water fished much & practice at a small pond in Lompoc. Ive caught a bunch of small blue gill & a few small bass.There are some BIG bass in the pond but havent figured out how to catch em.Ive tried poppers & a few wet flys but the moss & shallowness make it hard.The ones ive seen were caught on a rubber frog & bass rigs.I caught a few small trout up Figueroa last weekend & gonna go back up soon. Mark  

Email marfly   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print