Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 15th, 2017, 7:57am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Neal Taylor   R.I.P. (Read 1434 times)
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Neal Taylor   R.I.P.
Feb 16th, 2011, 7:33am

The news traveled fast and pokes its head up here.
 Neal Taylor died at home Tuesday morning.  So many in the club have been in one of Neal's classes.  We use his book as a part of our Youth Academy.  He taught me fly casting when he was salesman in the sporting goods at Ott's Harware in the mid 60's...he worked at the other sporting good stores as well Pelshes(sic) and All American.  Such a great demenor for teaching with such an enthusiasm. He was always willing back then to take a break and pass on a few casting tips put in the parking lot.  

There are two new great spirits flying with the eagles at Cachuma.  Neal joins Bill Sedar, father of  Jean Sedar, who passed away a few weeks ago after 96 well lived years.  Somewhat poignant that the two great figures of  Cachuma Lake have gone to the other side so close in time.  
                                                                                                       LEW
Neal Taylor Dies
By Marshall Cutchin on February 17, 2011 7:01 AM | Permalink  
Neal Taylor, who won several national casting titles and guided and taught fly fishers for more than 30 years, died on Tuesday in California at the age of 78. In addition to teaching classes in fly fishing at various colleges, Taylor was a naturalist for Santa Barbara County Park Department, for which he conducted programs for thousands of school children.

"Learning to fish from his father, often on the Santa Ynez River before Bradbury Dam was built, he learned to cast in elementary school, and won his first of seven national casting titles at the age of 14. While in the Air Force, he was invited to fish on the Platte River in Colorado with President Dwight D. Eisenhower." Sally Cappon in the Santa Maria Times.

Leslie Schwartz wrote an excellent profile of Taylor for The Los Angeles Times in 1995: "It's hard to believe that someone so big could care so much for something so small. But seeing his look of pleasure as the fish struggles to life and disappears into the river, it becomes obvious that Taylor's husky 6-foot-1 stature belies an underlying tenderness. To his students, who line the river banks clad in waders and fishing hats, Taylor is a bit of an enigma: a bumbling Jonathan Winters look-alike who takes rod in hand and suddenly becomes a backwoods Baryshnikov."

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2011, 6:24am by Lew_Riffle »  
  IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: Neal Taylor   R.I.P.
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2011, 6:33am

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Re: Neal Taylor   R.I.P.
Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2011, 11:02am

Neal has done much for the fly fishing community. I took his course a few years back and really appreciated how he took the mystery out of and simplified the art called flyfishing. In this world of new and improved, techno everything, Neal brough me back to the roots of flyfishing and made me realize that sometimes the old techniques and methods are still the best. I shall miss him.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print