Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 18th, 2017, 10:37am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A few bonita, a LOT of whale! (Read 4144 times)
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

A few bonita, a LOT of whale!
Sep 9th, 2010, 6:44pm

Redondo has been amazing, not because the fishing is any better than usual but because in addition to the usual small Mackerel and Bonita there are a lot of Blue Whales haging around. Just to be able to get up close to the largest animal on the planet is quite a thrill!

There were a lot of bonita like this one and some smaller makerel hanging around the harbor plus some out at sea. There were a few a little bigger but most were about this size:

It was a day that won't be remembered for the fishing nor all the sightings of Dolphin and seals but for these guys. I apologize for the picture quality but all I had on board was a point and shoot. I may try to get out tomorrow with a good camera.

There were spouts from blowholes all over

Soon after leaving the breakwater:

We were soon surround by Blue Whales:

That's Redondo Beach in the background:

Some are so close that on the way back, about half mile out, I saw two guys in a row boat (the kind the life guards use) rowing alongside a whale! Sorry, didn't get a picture.

They are so large! Some looked to be 100 feet long! It is extremely rare to see Blue Whales this far south. I have see a Blue Whale or two in the Santa Barbara Channel but I've never seen this many Blue Whales anywhere before!

A few things that are interesting about Blue Whales:

They can live to be over 100 years old

An adult can be 100 feet long and weigh as much as 200 tons.

Their mouth can hold 99 tons of water but their throat is only about a foot in diameter. Thye feed on tiny critters called krill. About 40,000,000 of them a day.  

Their heart is about the size of a Volkswagon.

A newborn weighs about 3 tons, feeds on mothers milk and gains about 200 pounds a day.

Their "voice" can be heard by other whales 1,000 miles away

They only have two predators, killer whales and man.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: A few bonita, a LOT of whale!
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2010, 5:45pm

Cool stuff!  Never remember Blue Whales being off PV and South Bay like that.     LEW

IP Logged
ryan15
Ex Member

Re: A few bonita, a LOT of whale!
Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2010, 2:52pm

That is truly amazing

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print