Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 3:11pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Baja Pic from Lew's Trip June '10 (Read 3002 times)
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Baja Pic from Lew's Trip June '10
Jul 8th, 2010, 7:54am

http://www.garybulla.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6
There are two posts with slide show picture links   Magdalena Bay   and  Baja Flyfishing June 19th

« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2010, 7:04am by Lew_Riffle »  
  IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Baja Pic from Lew's Trip June '10
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2010, 10:27am

Lew, that is not a valid link and if it were, you wouldn't need to place it in between url tags. Only labeling text needs to go in between tags and then you must paste the url within the opening tag.  

The simplest way to post a link is to copy it and paste it in the post. That way it will be correct, work as a link and no url tags are needed. You could post the exact link(s) to the place(s) you want. Never type a link, you will make a typo more often than not, and it's more work.

The help section of the menu above shows how to post things like that as well as the "How to use the forum" section of the forum. As an example, here is the link to the "How to post pictures" post that as copied from the browser:

http://www.sbflyfishers.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1149787266

If I had tried to type the above, I probably would have made a mistake and it wouldn't work. Since I just copied and pasted it (no url tags), it does.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2010, 7:23am

Clear as red tide water.  Wonder boy here can't even  figure out how to find a place where I can copy(highlight) a link from to paste it.  Then I go to the explanation from YaBBC world and you want to give who wrote those instructions a failing grade if not simply choke the dude around the neck.   Attention to details gets it done but it sure is tough when the details are not clearly defined. I totally agree with copy and paste way of doing things but it gets dicey when the buttons don't work!
 What was wrong with my typed link was no : after http.    Angry           LEW

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2010, 10:36am

What buttons don't work?

Sorry, but I guess the software writers, and I, didn't think copy & pasting links was something unique to the forum. It's most common use is in email and messaging. It's something that is basic computer / Internet use.  It's relationship to the forum is no different that to any operating system or program you use on a computer be it a word processor, spreadsheet, email, etc. So instructions for any of those programs don't really explain it either; so I guess I'll try here:

Every browser page has the address of that page at the top in the address space; The address is a URL (Uniform Resource Locator.) You can put the address to any page (you are looking at in a browser) by copying it and pasting it somewhere else. In most programs, including this forum, the address (URL) will become a link when pasted. Even if it does not become a link, a person can simply copy it and paste it in the address space of any browser and go to that page.

When pasting links, it's best to use the exact links to the posts. Your link is to an area with many posts and some people may have trouble finding the ones with the slide shows (which also have links that could be posted.)

Here's the two posts I believe you were referring to:

http://www.garybulla.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4783

http://www.garybulla.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4777

The above links are just copied and pasted addresses from the browser.

Below I used the forum URL code to link a text label to the same addresses. This is what the the instructions explain.

Magdalena Bay - 2010

Baja Fly Fishing - 2010

This is how the code for the above is written. Note the text label is between the url tags and the address is contained in the opening tag after url and an equal sign (=)
Code:
[url=http://www.garybulla.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4783]Magdalena Bay - 2010[/url]

[url=http://www.garybulla.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4777]Baja Fly Fishing - 2010[/url]

I could have just copied the addresses of the slide shows at Picassa but using the the links to Gary's site will give people a chance to check it out.

By the way, those are nice slide shows! Who took the pictures?

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2010, 2:42pm

Helpful and now I understand about the text labeling...but wonder boy has just tried using his right mouse key and found out that there really a the way to copy from the address line with the "right" menu.  Before I was trying to use the command line  Edit pull down and was loosing the the highlight selection on the address line in the process. No worky!  As Angie, Baja Joe's wife, says  "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result" The adendum to that is that this  is how she says "to make things work on your computer and TV set up..... and that applies to you guys going fishing every day as well".  It is a nice way of telling us that if we come back without fish for dinner then we are insaine and Joe is still trying to get the DVD player to work.  

Gary is doing most of the photography but these shows are kind of communal in that we give Gary our cards out of our cameras to download on his computer so as he can formulate his slide shows from there.  Also when on the same boat as Gary, he welcomes anybody picking up his mighty Nikon D machine with the super lens to fire away when it's not in his hands,  like when he has a fish on ....the Capitans are now learning to be photographers, adding to their  growing skill list.  What is going on here is that after multiple weeks of going out fishing day after day one gets a little burnt out on just fishing. Gary has found that shooting pictures is a great  way to beat the the burn and add to the product of his Fly Fishing Adventures.   Most of us have a hard time putting down the rod and picking up the camera.  As a result not many pictures get taken but now with angle on things like Gary has taken some good things are coming about.  
                                                                    LEW                                                                          

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2010, 6:11pm

Grin

The right mouse click is one of, if not the most useful computer functions. I probably use the right button more than the left button and the keyboard. I can't imagine trying to copy (or paste) any other way and only use the ctrl c / ctrl v on the very rare occasions when I have to. I often tell people: if you don't know how to do something, right click the mouse and the answer will probably pop up.

Gary is doing a great job on the photos! Many of those places look very familiar and bring back memories. I guess we'll be seeing more of them now that he is concentrating on his Fly Fishing Adventures business.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print