Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 13th, 2017, 5:15am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fish stocking, current status: (Read 1705 times)
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Fish stocking, current status:
Apr 13th, 2010, 10:42am

The DFG has released a list of waters in the State that have been evaluated as required by legal action "to consider each sensitive or listed species in each water relative to the stocking of trout." This list of waters is now being stocked. The DFG states they have made this evaluation a "top priority." You will note in reading the list of evaluated waters in which stocking has resumed, there are no waters in Santa Barbara County on this list.

Current List of Waters Evaluated and Approved for Stocking *

* PLEASE NOTE: The text at the top of the list explains the reasons for the DFG's evaluations, it's copied from another page and doesn't explain that the list following it is waters that have been evaluated and approved. Resumed stocking is the result of that evaluation. As far as I know, there is no list of waters that are under evaluation or those that have been evaluated as not eligible for stocking under current guidelines.  

I'm not sure what this all means for our local waters. I am trying to get more information and will post it when I get it.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: Fish stocking, current status:
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2010, 6:19am

It means that low hanging fruit gets picked first!  Unfortunately ours is kind of high in the tree!  LEW

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Fish stocking, current status:
Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2010, 11:10am

Well, after talking to the DFG Hatchery Administrator, I learned that they have to wait for the evaluations, which are ongoing and being conducted by biologists. There is a lot of water in this State and very few biologists so the process may take quite a while. Lew's comment would indicate, it may take a very long time before this area gets evaluated.

If your wondering what the criteria for the evaluation is, read this:

Pre-Stocking Evaluation Protocol

It seems to me the part of the flow chart that the area of Santa Ynez River between Lake Cachuma and Gibraltar would get stuck in is the balloon that states: "Determine if Decision Species are present at proposed stocking site" Assuming Steelhead would be the "Decision Species" and if the Santa Ynez River below Cachuma's Dam or above Gibraltar's is, somehow, a part of that area this could mean a "DO NOT STOCK" result.  We know Steelhead exist below Cachuma and genetic ancestors of Steelhead above Gibraltar. The question is, would the stocking of that portion of the river have any effect on the Steelhead that are isolated by the dams? That answer must be determined by a biologist and, as said before, it may take quite a while before that happens.

So, I would not plan any trips to The Santa Ynez to fish for planted trout this year. However, the river is home to several self sustaining invasive species that you can fish for and are not under any scrutiny by studies or protocol. These include Carp, Green Sunfish and Smallmouth Bass, all of which may effect (granted, not genetically) "Decision Species".  

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print