Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 12:08am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NEW ZEALAND - May be the last time (Read 2080 times)
Bob Merrilees

Semper Fi

NEW ZEALAND - May be the last time
Apr 6th, 2010, 4:55pm

Well, all good things must come to an end and this is no exception. I have been fishing in New Zealand every year since 2001 but we can no longer justify the expense of storing and maintaining our SUV over there.  

We will be in NZ from mid-January to early April, 2011 and then sell our truck to the highest bidder.  

During that time I would like to share accommodations, transportation and an occasional fishing guide with another fly fisher. Please contact me ASAP if you are interested.  

Bob Merrilees  
bob merrilees∯yahoo.com  

Some of the New Zealand waters I have fished   Shocked

Aparima River  
Clutha River  
Eglinton River  
Hakataramea River  
Hinemaiaia River  
Hokitika River  
Hutt River  
Lake Rotorua
Lake Rotoiti
Maerewhenua River  
Makarewa River  
Manawatu River  
Manganui o te Ao  
Mangapapa River  
Manorburn Reservoir
Mataura River  
Mohaka River  
Motu River  
Ngongotaha River
Oamaru River  
Oreti River  
Otaki River  
Rangitikei River  
Ruamahanga River  
Styx River  
Taieri River  
Takaka River  
Tauranga Taupo River  
Te Mata River  
Te Wharau or Stony River  
Tongariro River
Tongariro Taupo River  
Tukituki River  
Waiau River  
Waikanae River  
Waikato River  
Wainui River  
Wainuiomata River  
Waioeka River  
Wairau River  
Wairoa River  
Waitahanui River  
Whanganui River

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: NEW ZEALAND - May be the last time
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2010, 5:39pm

Great list Bob!

I have a friend that has a house in New Zealand. He's there November to April and at his house in Montana the rest of the year. I've been wanting to go visit him. I believe he's in Wanganui, anywhere near your destination?

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Bob Merrilees

Semper Fi

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2010, 6:37pm

The largest city near Wanganui is Wellington, where we store the truck. The nearest airport is Palmerston North, about 50 miles away.  

I will be in Wellington when we first arrive and again before we leave. We have to be in Dunedin (South Island) in early February. We will be moving north from there later in the month. We don't have a destination per se other than that.

Getting around NZ is easy and fairly inexpensive. You shouldn't limit yourself to one location. Wanganui is a cool town but not worth more than a few days.  

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2010, 10:17am

Wanganui would be a place to stay but I would, of course, like to plan several trips to other parts including South Island. I just don't know what kind of transportation would be available. If I go, we can hook up somewhere. What's the Wanganui River like? It looks like a pretty big river.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Bob Merrilees

Semper Fi

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2010, 5:26pm

Yes, the Whanganui River is quite large near Wanganui town. Note the different spellings.... the Maori are trying to get the city name changed to the river name spelling too. "WH", by the way, is pronounced "F" or "PH".  

Rental cars are not too expensive there but it has been a long time since we rented. They do drive on the wrong side of the road. Flights cost about the same as they do here on Southwest (not their web specials). Busses go everywhere. There is limited train service on the South Island.

There are many, many fisheries within a few hours drive of Wanganui and one can get to Taupo in about 5 hours from there. There are 38 streams flowing into Lake Taupo, the Tongariro River being the most famous. This time of year (summer) is tough unless there is a good Cicada hatch (there was none in 2010).

The summer vacation period starts about 15 December and runs to 15 February so there are more kiwis on the streams than there are during the rest of the year. The spawn runs from March to September on the South Island and from April to October on the North Island. The fishing season ends in most places about one month into the spawn, April on the SI and May on the NI, and starts at the end of it.  

Here is my go-to website for NZ fishing.   http://www.nzfishing.com/

Bob

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2010, 6:24pm

Thanks for all the inf0 Bob. Sounds like March may be a good time to go. Will be in touch if it pans out.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print