Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 16th, 2017, 2:34pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fly Fishing Santa Rosa Island (Read 4747 times)
mag

Fly Fishing Santa Rosa Island
Feb 26th, 2010, 12:00pm

Does anyone have suggestions for the type of fly's to use for perch or corbina at Becher's Bay on Santa Rosa Island? Thanks, Mike.

IP Logged
lingcod
Board Member

Re: Fly Fishing Santa Rosa Island
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2010, 8:27pm

Mike,

Around the islands any type of bait fish patterns are going to work well. In the early morning, if fish are hitting the surface use an unweighted bait pattern. Later when they go back into the kelp and rocks go with a weighted fly.

Try Clousers, Deceivers, Seducers, Big Mullets, Sardinas, Bunkers........etc.

I hope you will post the results of your trip,

Good Luck,

Joseph

(Post on the saltwater part of the board).

"The longer your cast the longer your line is in the water fishing". Lew Riffle
Email   IP Logged
mag

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2010, 4:34pm

Joseph,
Thanks for the inf0 ... I am not going to Santa Rosa Island until May, but I will post my results when I return.  
-Mike

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2010, 6:23am

More specifically the same surf lies that are used here on the coast will work out at Bleachers. Check out Gary Bulla's Board  for some pictures of patterns.  LEW

IP Logged
mag

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2010, 1:08pm

I just returned from a few days of camping at Bechers Bay on Santa Rosa Island. Unfortunately due to windy conditions and due to inexperience on my part, the fly-fishing was fun but not successful at landing perch. However many perch were caught with spinning reels using sand-crabs. The best tidal condition for catching perch seemed to be a couple hours after low-tide.  

I can give a couple tips for camping on Santa Rosa Island. If you go over on the Island Packers boat and return via the Channel Islands Aviation airplane, it avoids the crowds (we had the entire campground to ourselves). By taking the boat to the island rather than the airplane, it not only saves some $$ but also dodges the airplane weight restriction which would otherwise limit the quantity of food/drinks that can be transported to the island.

-Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print