Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 3:18pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I smell spring. (Read 1838 times)
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

I smell spring.
Feb 26th, 2010, 7:02am

Woke up yesterday and noticed the apricot tree out back had blossemed overnight. Winter was long this year with much time to prepare, yet I found myself busy with other projects and now the wake up call of spring. Shocked So much to do; build the casting deck on the boat before the bass in Cachuma move to the shallows. Still need to dress a stock of clousers for that as well. Equipment to clean, line and organize and the list goes on. A full day off work to start on the list, but I find myself contemplating a scout trip on the river instead. Decisions decisions....???

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: I smell spring.
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2010, 7:41am

Work on your boat....the river is doing well but DFG can't get it in gear for some fish and when they do it it will be a circus.  Me?   the surf perch(real fish) will suffer!  LEW

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2010, 8:41am

Sage advice Lew. The boat it is.
For those bass fly anglers, I was on Cachuma yesterday for a little scout trip. Nothing showing in the shallows yet and fishing has been slow across the board. The lake is starting to turn over. Fish finder took a dump on me so I'm not sure what the surface temp was or how deep the fish are hanging. I'll be watching it close and will update. My work schedule changed so now I have some mid-week days off and don't have to fight the crowds this spring. Really looking forward to that.  
Have the perch been active? Figured with the weather of late, the surf would be up......

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2010, 6:47am

With warmer than normal sea temps things will stand a chance of starting early for the the spring perch season.  Yeah I have been getting into some perch here and there between the swells that have been pretty constant this winter.  Thanks for the the Cachuma Report....maybe you can keep us informed on what is happening up that way...heck no one reads this board that much anyhow and we can have a rare report for our backyard lake.  Our fund raiser is on April 20th and our March meeting the 9th will have Larry Kuraski the world record holder for LMB on the fly giving us his take on how fish sinkhead rigs and neutral bouyancy flies. Come on down!        LEW

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2010, 8:59am

Thanks for the invite, sounds interesting and educational. Being 10 minutes from the lake and now with a boat again, figured I'd dive into the FF for bass this year to add another option to those days off.  
Casting deck is in and all that's left is replacing the trolling motor on the bow. Had planned on sticking with the tiller steer but testing last week proved unfavorable in a light breeze as my hand was on the motor so much that it took much away from the fishing. Going back to a foot control . The bow on this little boat has an inset that should keep the pedal forward and out of the way reducing the potential of line tangle as it coils on the deck. If anybody has a recommendation as to model, I'm open. I'm looking at both the Minn Kota Edge and the Motorguide at 40lbs thrust minimum.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print