Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 15th, 2017, 3:55am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Santa Ynez River Clean Up (Read 2259 times)
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Santa Ynez River Clean Up
Nov 8th, 2009, 8:26am

It time to get up on the river!  We have been doing this as a club project for decades. The idea is to get the litter picked up from all the summer's abuse at the pools above the last crossing before the winter storms stash the trash downstream .  Besides it's really kind of beautiful up along the Redrock section of the SY river this time of year.  Why not do it with some fly fishing friends?

We will meet at the Los Prietos Station at 9am on Saturday November 14th.  We will after a quick oreintation and safety reminder drive on up into "Adventure Pass Country" to the Falls Day Use Area where lunch will be later.  We can carpool further up to end of the road from there, get your gear in order and hike up river for a few hours of picking and hauling back trash. We will head back down for lunch early afternoon.  
Some folks have gone  fishing afterwards. Jean Sedar has the hankering to camp at Upper Oso the Friday night.

I will have a stash of pickers from over the years as well as some rubber gloves if you don't bring your own.You can be a big help by bringing your own gloves and trash picker. The trash pickers I like are the pistol grip type with a pincher action between rubber tips when you grip it.  Everybody sought to have one of these in the kit when they go fishing. A trash picker should be in your rod quiver. Imagine if everyone who when they went fishing just picked up some trash for 5 minutes  every now and then.  Available at most hardware  and home improvement stores.  

If you plan on attending please sign up or let me know that you plan on coming so I can have a parking pass for you and Mike knows how many people to fix BBQ lunch for..Sign up at the club meeting this Tuesday or post me here will work as well
                                                                                  LEW

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: Santa Ynez River Clean Up
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2009, 8:34am

Going up to the Kern next weekend and can't make it? Well don't you know that this is River Clean Up Weekend for resonant river users?  
Kern River Fly Shop  
11301 Kernville Rd  
Kernville, CA 93238  

When: Saturday November 14th  

Time:10am -1pm  

Participating Sponsors so far:  

Sierra South Mountain Sports  
Mountain and River Adventures  
El Jacalito  Mexican Restaurant  
Tobin Joseph & Graphico  
Kern River Fly Shop  
US Forest Service  

We hope to see everybody there that wants to make and see a difference in the 20 mile section of the Upper Kern.  

This is also on the same date of the Southern Sierra Fly Fishers meeting with guest speaker Andrew Harris  

Please call the shop to let us know you are participating  760 376 2040  

IP Logged
ryan15
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2009, 12:33pm

Hey Lew,

I am not a member of the club but I would definitely like to join you guys up on the SY. I have a yearly adventure pass so I don't need one to be supplied.  

Ryan

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2009, 7:06am

Ryan   please do show up! you are more than welcome!    LEW

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2009, 6:55am

We had a successful project.  With about 15 people showing up. The litter problem seems to be abating with either low water or the adventure pass program discouraging the use that caused the litter in the first place.  
Great to meet you Ryan!  
Looks like we need a wet winter more than ever!       LEW

IP Logged
ryan15
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2009, 12:21am

Likewise Lew. It was a good time and I will definitely participate again next year.

Ryan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print