Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 5:18pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SY fishing yesterday (Read 3954 times)
peter805

SY fishing yesterday
Aug 17th, 2009, 8:43am

So I went back to SY siennas yesterday for a little hike/FF with my lady.It was very nice to get away from all those
people and hike in a little . We got all the way by the dam.There are sighs "keep out" and stuff by the dam so we did not go
under the dam .I would like to under the dam because I seen on yahoo maps that there is a large pool there. What do you
think about that?
I caught about 30 small fish, bass and sunfish from 3'' to 6''. I think my 5wt is a overkill but thats what I have in small class.
I cant wait to go back and do some more .Next time Im going solo, because my wife had just about a nuff and got bored after
about 6 hrs of this so it was time to go. Smiley.
I want to explore a little deeper of the trail and see if I can find some "secret" siennas.Im very sure that they are out there.
I would post some pictures but I find it very complicated to do here.Sorry.

Peter

Email   IP Logged
Surf to SY

Re: SY fishing yesterday
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2009, 10:42pm

How do the pools look up there? I've been thinking about heading up to the Santa Ynez lately but I've been worried that the water is so low and warm that the fish wouldn't be interested...

It would be nice to escape this marine layer

Email   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2009, 6:55am

Don't go past the signs at the bottom of Gibraltar Dam. Respect them or go to jail.  Ted the Dam Keeper is an ornery ole guss who is very protective about his dam.  He tried being nice to people once but since 9/11 and getting beat up by some punks he does not have  a friendly demeanor anymore, as if he ever had one, bless him.  We need to help him do his job and not make any more grief than he has already trying to take care of things up that way.       LEW            

IP Logged
peter805

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2009, 1:31pm

Quote from Lew_Riffle on Aug 18th, 2009, 6:55am:
Don't go past the signs at the bottom of Gibraltar Dam. Respect them or go to jail.  Ted the Dam Keeper is an ornery ole guss who is very protective about his dam.  He tried being nice to people once but since 9/11 and getting beat up by some punks he does not have  a friendly demeanor anymore, as if he ever had one, bless him.  We need to help him do his job and not make any more grief than he has already trying to take care of things up that way. LEW

I do respect what you saing about the Dam and Ted the Dam Keeper. I will stay away. thank you for the inf0.

Peter

Email   IP Logged
peter805

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2009, 1:34pm

Quote from Surf to SY on Aug 17th, 2009, 10:42pm:
How do the pools look up there? I've been thinking about heading up to the Santa Ynez lately but I've been worried that the water is so low and warm that the fish wouldn't be interested...

It would be nice to escape this marine layer

well, it was my first time up that far, so to me the pools look ok. No trout just sunfish.
Hope this helps.

Peter

Email   IP Logged
smog7

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2009, 12:41am

can the dam be reached year round? is their an actual trail? or do you have to go bushwacking?

IP Logged
peter805

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2009, 1:10pm

Quote from smog7 on Aug 19th, 2009, 12:41am:
can the dam be reached year round? is their an actual trail? or do you have to go bushwacking?

you can go bushwacking through poison oak or you can take trail through poison oak, your choice Wink

Peter

Email   IP Logged
Surf to SY

Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2009, 6:11pm

I messed around with some poppers and wooly buggers at the pool above the first crossing today. It was surprisingly full considering how low everything else is. The water was also colder than I expected so I'm assuming there's a spring in there somewhere. Casting wooly buggers anywhere along the bank gets hits every time on the drop. I caught smallmouth and green sunfish usually about 4 or 5 inches with the biggest being a whopping 7!

There were also so big carp prowling in the shadows but I knew they weren't feeding. If you found them in the shallows closer to the road tailing or feeding then you could have a definite shot at them.  

The best part was that it was really hot unlike SB with all this fog.

Email   IP Logged
peter805

Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2009, 9:34pm

Quote from Surf to SY on Aug 20th, 2009, 6:11pm:
I messed around with some poppers and wooly buggers at the pool above the first crossing today. It was surprisingly full considering how low everything else is. The water was also colder than I expected so I'm assuming there's a spring in there somewhere. Casting wooly buggers anywhere along the bank gets hits every time on the drop. I caught smallmouth and green sunfish usually about 4 or 5 inches with the biggest being a whopping 7!

There were also so big carp prowling in the shadows but I knew they weren't feeding. If you found them in the shallows closer to the road tailing or feeding then you could have a definite shot at them.

The best part was that it was really hot unlike SB with all this fog.

Cool man. How big of a rod do you use ? 3WT?  I was using 5WT and I think that is way overkill for those little guys.

Peter

Email   IP Logged
Surf to SY

Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2009, 11:44pm

Yeah I just wanted to mess around with my little Redington RS4 3wt.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print