Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 15th, 2017, 7:50am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
hello (Read 1919 times)
peter805

hello
Aug 8th, 2009, 1:32pm

hello everyone.
Im a new member and I just would like to intro my self. My name is Peter and  live in Ventura county.
Been fishing for about 30 years now and fly fishing for about 2 years and loving every second of it.
FF from a float tube for trout , bass and bluegill is on the top of my list ,however any kinda FF is  
all good with my. Smiley
I hope that I can dontribute to this site somehow.

Peter

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: hello
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2009, 1:46pm

Welcome Peter  Smiley

I too love fishing from a float tube or, better yet. a pontoon or kickboat with oars.

You live near the ocean, have you fly fished the salt?

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
peter805

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2009, 3:16pm

Quote from Forum Admin on Aug 8th, 2009, 1:46pm:
Welcome Peter  Smiley

I too love fishing from a float tube or, better yet. a pontoon or kickboat with oars.

You live near the ocean, have you fly fished the salt?

I have then I first started FF so it was not very good experiance for me so I stoped. Now that Im better
at casting and such I may try again but Im not sure.I realy like FF for bass and bluegill.  
And of course easter sierra for trout. Smiley
I do a little of surf fishing with my 11' light steelhead spinning rod.And even that can be pain with the
waves ,salat and wind, so fly fishing in surf.........................I just dont know about that.

Peter

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2009, 4:12pm

You need to give the surf a try. It's a lot more fun with a fly rod than an 11' spin rod! The local surf provides close fishing when you don't have the time to go to places for the fresh water fish. The right line will handle the waves, good casting will help deal with the wind and the right time and place will keep you out of the salad.

The casting is different; will take some practice and getting used to. Best to practice with shooting heads before venturing out to the surf. You'll need a heavy sinking head with running line, either integrated or attached head. You should head up to Carpinteria. Good surf fishing in the area and the Artful Angler fly shop can help you get started.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
peter805

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2009, 7:45am

Quote from Forum Admin on Aug 8th, 2009, 4:12pm:
You need to give the surf a try. It's a lot more fun with a fly rod than an 11' spin rod! The local surf provides close fishing when you don't have the time to go to places for the fresh water fish. The right line will handle the waves, good casting will help deal with the wind and the right time and place will keep you out of the salad.

The casting is different; will take some practice and getting used to. Best to practice with shooting heads before venturing out to the surf. You'll need a heavy sinking head with running line, either integrated or attached head. You should head up to Carpinteria. Good surf fishing in the area and the Artful Angler fly shop can help you get started.

Yeah, I know Eric at the Artful Angler-he is a great guy. When I started FF it was in surf with 7wt and full sinking line. I even
meet at with Paul C (im sure you know him) and did geve it a good try (btw Paul is also a very good guy). After "dry park practice"
many many times and couple of times at the beach, I geve up on it and almost stoped FF.
But I did keep tring and went to lake casitas many times and got much better at it. Even caught few LMB on the fly from the shore.
Now I have a float tube and I just love FF from it.
So anyways, surf FF - not right now, maybe one day. Now, Florida Keys would be something alse......................... Smiley

Peter

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2009, 12:05pm

Well, when you decide to try again get a suitable line for your 7wt. If you were using a 7wt full sink fly line you wouldn't have the control and ability that a 250 grain shooting head would give you. That might make trying to cast frustrating.

On a good day in the local surf the water is clear and clean. You can see corbina cruising the beach and often sight cast to them.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
peter805

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2009, 9:34pm

Quote from Forum Admin on Aug 9th, 2009, 12:05pm:
Well, when you decide to try again get a suitable line for your 7wt. If you were using a 7wt full sink fly line you wouldn't have the control and ability that a 250 grain shooting head would give you. That might make trying to cast frustrating.

On a good day in the local surf the water is clear and clean. You can see corbina cruising the beach and often sight cast to them.

Sounds like you realy like surf FF. Good for you. I will think about it.
Thank you

Peter

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print