Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 10:46am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mammoth II (Read 1782 times)
Surf to SY

Mammoth II
Jul 29th, 2009, 11:52pm

Tyler and I had a great trip to Mammoth with his dad. We fished 14 spots including the Lakes Basin, Crowley, and San Joaquin area. Kent Rianda who spoke at the club about midging Crowley tooks us for a day on his boat and we nailed the fish at Little Hilton. I caught a fat 20" Eagle Lake Rainbow and Tyler caught one of the same size. Later we moved into McGee where the fishing was a little slower but the indicators were still dropping. Finally I hooked a huge fish at least 22" on 6x tippet that leapt in the air and took me immediately to my drag. Even with minimal pressure the fish broke me off on only it's second run. Tyler has enjoyed hassling me about losing the biggest fish of the trip.

Hot Creek was also one of our best producers with both Tyler and me hammering fish on a small hare's ear. (Although Tyler outfished me by far on the last day!) That happens to be the same fly that worked there last year and I would highly recommend it drifted through channels and holes in the weeds with a small caddis pupa trailing as the dropper or an olive scud. We even got to fish EHC's in the nightly caddis hatch catching rising fish.

My personal favorite location besides Crowley was Starkweather Lake near Devil's Postpile. The lake is only 500 feet across and is roughly circular but we caught many fish. I enjoyed the lake so much because I was able to fish size 20 parachute midges I had tied and catch probably 20 fish on dries in a few hours. These aggressive fish were not huge, but averaged about 12" to 14" which was extremely entertaining on dry flies.  

A wild Brookie from Mamie caught on a Griffith's gnat. You can see some of the red spots and blue halos if you look closely

Tyler's nice Hot Creek Rainbow

Typical Starkweather Bow

Some decent Browns out of Hot Creek. Watch out for Stinging Nettle!

Eagle Lake Crowley Rainbow

Control your fish Tyler -- you're on the other side of the boat

That's more like it

I guess Kent wanted in on the picture also

There he is again!

Email   IP Logged
lingcod
Board Member

Re: Mammoth II
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2009, 9:23pm

Johnny and Tyler,

I always enjoy your posts.  The photos are great and you guys have really learned to fly fish in all sorts of conditions.  It has been fun to see you go through the Academy and emerge as serious fly fishermen. I admire your abilities and your progress in the sport.

Joseph

"The longer your cast the longer your line is in the water fishing". Lew Riffle
Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2009, 11:17am

I agree, Joseph. It's always a pleasure to read about and see their fishing adventures. Johnny and Tyler are a great testimony to the academy!  Smiley

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Coach Scott

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2009, 8:39pm

Wow, nice post. Looks like you had a great time. Its always fun to read someone elses experiences it brings to mind some of my trips to the same locations. Cool Thanks for sharing.

Scott

IP Logged
Surf to SY

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2009, 11:43pm

Thanks everyone,
The guys at the Troutfitter are a great help whenever we take the trip to Mammoth.

Can't wait to go back

Email   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2009, 7:04am

Can you say "iconic summer"? Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print