Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2017, 9:42am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Santa Marg and Piru (Read 1114 times)
ryan15
Ex Member

Santa Marg and Piru
Jun 16th, 2009, 10:15am

Went to Santa Margarita Lake over Memorial Day weekend (late report I know) and had a great time with some pretty decent success. I was casting from shore using my saltwater rig, 8wt with a 30 ft t-8 shooting head, and a diamond hair minnow with an olive back and a white body. I was only able to fish for a couple of hours but did pretty well, I hooked and landed 3 smallies of decent size, and hooked and LDRd a big boy that went air born and spit me out.

Just this past weekend my dog Bourbon and I went fishing at Piru Lake. We arrived Saturday evening and camped planning on waking early and renting a boat for the day. Well upon renting the boat I was informed that dogs are not allowed in the boats because they were new. Don't know what kind of damage my dog can inflict on an aluminum boat but not much I could do so Bourbon and I walked the shores for a couple of hours and then left to try other water. While there we landed several small rainbows (12-14") and a number of redear, all on a small olive wooley bugger. These were my first redear, pretty fish.  We then went up to Quail lake on the aqueduct system, but the wind was howling and did not have any luck. Here's Bourbon on the shore of Quail Lake.

And just for fun this is a smallie my brother caught on the Potholes up in Eastern Washington.

Ryan

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Santa Marg and Piru
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2009, 4:04pm

Santa Margarita is one of my favorite places to fish for bass. That Largemouth your holding seems to be the common size but there are a lot of bigger ones too. I don't think Santa Margarita has any Smallmouth. It's a good lake to pontoon or float tube.

Any boat rental places that don't allow dogs are stupid! There are some people that don't belong in boats; they should be worried about them. The last time I rented a boat with a dog was at French Gulch in Lake Isabella. When I asked about bring my dog they said, "of course he's welcome!" That's the kind of boat rental place I will recommend.

Your brother's Smallmouth is a nice fish. Wish we had more places with Smallmouth down here, of course Cachuma can be pretty good Smallmouth water.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print