Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 1:01pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kern River trip (Read 1910 times)
Flycrazy

Kern River trip
May 21st, 2009, 7:56pm

Looking at heading to the Kern from SB this weekend with a few buddies. Wondering who has fished, what flys are best and who wants to go fishing?! Would like to find someone or a few people who have fished it before. Pretty new to fly fishing, maybe pick-up a thing or two. -Erik   Cool

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Kern River trip
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2009, 4:38pm

Erik,

Be sure and stop at the fly shop (Kern River Fly Shop) in Kernville. You can get the latest report and advice there.

At this time of year, runoff season, the river will be raging. Look for slower moving areas along the edges and in pockets where fish can get out of the too fast current.

Stone fly patterns as well as small PTs and Kern emergers are staple patterns on the Kern.

Let us know how you do.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Flycrazy

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2009, 5:45pm

hey thanks a lot, I'll stop by the shop in the morning, headed out today. Should be a good time, thanks again for the advice Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Flycrazy

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2009, 2:27pm

Well as expected the Kern was raging, so I headed up to the Forks of Kern in search of slower water. Once you get away from the tent cities and way back there, its beautiful. Hiked down the golden trout wilderness trail, what a view! Fished one of the forks, no goldies cry  but I did catch a lot of rainbows. Will post some pictures soon. -Erik

Also stopped by the fly shop in Kernville, very very helpful there!

Email   IP Logged
jburk
Board Member
SBF Club Member

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2009, 2:50pm

Great comments for me to use as well.
Thanks
John

IP Logged
Flycrazy

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2009, 10:26pm

By erikshoyer at 2009-05-26
Lots of these little guys

« Last Edit: May 26th, 2009, 11:45pm by Flycrazy »  
Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2009, 11:31am

Erik, the theory is: the Southern Sierra high country is home to three species of trout that evolved from a sea run Redband Rainbow trapped by ice conditions. The three species are the State fish: California Golden Trout (Volcano Creek), the Little Kern Golden and the Kern River Rainbow. I've heard some refer to all of them as Goldens and the pure Kern River Rainbow can get that "golden" hue.

Kern River Rainbow picture courtesy www.kernriverflyfishing.com

The area you were in will be the Kern River Rainbow's territory although they too have suffered from the strain being tainted by stockers. This is why the Kern River is not being stocked downriver at this time pending studies. Guy Jeans has pack trips into the area north of there nearer the headwaters where you can catch pure Kern River Rainbow over 20".  That's where the picture above came from.

Here's a link from TU with a map that shows these three fish:

http://www.tucalifornia.org/cgtic/CGTbasics.htm

If want to catch Goldens (although not a pure strain) head east over Sherman Pass when the snow melts and you will find creeks with Golden hybrids up on top. They look like the pure Golden but the strain has been tainted by stocked rainbow genes.

Anyway, nice pictures and a nice little native fish! There's not too many places in the world where you can catch native trout. California has 10 native trout; some states only have 1, some have none!

« Last Edit: May 28th, 2009, 10:53am by Forum Admin »  

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Flycrazy

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2009, 9:21pm

Thanks for the inf0, that clears up some confusion I had. When I stopped by the Kern store they recommended spots over Sherman pass but unfortunately I didn't have enough time. I'd like to check it out on my next trip! Is it Guy who puts out the DVDs the area? I think his newest one covers that area but I may be wrong. -Erik

« Last Edit: May 27th, 2009, 10:56pm by Flycrazy »  
Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #8 - May 28th, 2009, 10:46am

Guy's newest DVD covers the Golden Trout Wilderness and was filmed in the area I mentioned north of where you were fishing, not the areas accessible via Sherman Pass.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print