Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 3:13pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
keeping (Read 1649 times)
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

keeping
May 20th, 2009, 9:00am

Since we plan to fish everyday when we are out there in July on vacation, some of the gang is asking if we plan to do a fish fry with fresh caught fish.

I am 99 percent C&R on all species, but am not averse to keeping a few for the table if:

1. It is legal to keep them
2. The population is healthy and can support some harvest (I know how fisheries politics work. There are species back here that should be C&R only, but a take remains because of pressure from various groups. Just because it is legal desn't mean it make sense to actually harvest the species.)
3 The fish are healthy and not loaded down with heavy metals and other crap
4. They taste good

Given that criteria, which species if any could be kept

1. Halibut
2. Perch
3. Yellow tail croaker
4. Calico Bass
5. Sand bass
6. sheephead
7. any species you would recommend?

thanks 9ft4wt

" When it comes to cults, fly fishing isn't much different than most. Simply put, this means that enough is never enough. With luck you can reach a pleasant level of mellow fanaticism... " Ed Engle
  IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: keeping
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2009, 12:25pm

The fishing out here may soon be closed completely soon. Check posts in the Conservation Corner section about the MLPA.  

As far as keeping, there are regulations and some of the species you mentioned have minimum size limits. I just through them all back so I don't have to worry about limits.

As far as eating, I wouldn't. The inshore fish are loaded with worms. While they are declared safe to eat if cooked thoroughly, why would anyone want to eat "well done" worms? You can see their spiral shapes in the infested flesh of the fish as you fillet.  

Here's a link to the regulations:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/sportfishing_regs2009.asp

Here's a link to some information about worms found in fish here:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/parasites.asp#larval_roundworms

Bon Appétit!  Grin

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Reply #2 - May 21st, 2009, 6:09am

Thanks, Joe:  

Looks like I am taking the gang to the fish market.

We have the worms out here too, worse in certain species, not as bad in others. But even if they are safe to eat, I won't eat them. Not worth killing a fish to find out if  it has them.  

About the only thing I keep back here is a few croaker -- plenty of them around and they don't tend to have many worms -- once each year for a meal of fresh fish. And maybe an occasional striper -- plenty of them too, but the places i can access and fish tend to usually have schoolies that usually fall below the slot.

Sounds like the waters of southern California have as many problems as we have back here in the Chesapeake Bay.  Good to know there are clubs like yours doing what they can to improve and protect the fisheries.

9ft4wt

" When it comes to cults, fly fishing isn't much different than most. Simply put, this means that enough is never enough. With luck you can reach a pleasant level of mellow fanaticism... " Ed Engle
  IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Reply #3 - May 21st, 2009, 6:54am

wow. did a little reading on the closures. Sounds like quite a battle. Exchange a few terms and a few species and all the arguments on both sides would hold for the Chesapeake Bay.  

All the usual suspects -- Government agencies, Environmental groups, commercial fisherman, sportsfishing captains and charter associations, recreational anglers.

Good luck

9ft4wt

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print