Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 1:02pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Local Lake (Read 5397 times)
ryan15
Ex Member

Local Lake
May 19th, 2009, 11:33am

Hit up Lake Los Carneros in place of my big eastern sierra extravaganza and had an amazingly fun time. My brother and I fished from openings on the shore and the concrete side as access is difficult due to 8ft tall reeds.  We caught 4-6 smallies each and 1 bluegill, inculding what I believe to be a nice fish below. I hooked and landed him with a 3wt rod, so the fight was excellent, we were mainly fishing streamer patterns that resemble small bait fish (clousers, surf candy, and the like. They were also feeding on damsel fly and dragon fly nymphs as I caught the guy below on an olive soft hackle dropped from a stimi. I plan on going back with my pontoon boat as I was amazed at the size of some of the cruising bass I saw and would like to try some of less fished area.

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2009, 1:16pm by ryan15 »  
  IP Logged
Surf to SY

Re: Local Lake
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2009, 6:49pm

Nice fish. Its good to see that Los Carneros is fishing well.  
That was all on floating line?

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2009, 12:40pm

Yes, that is a nice little getaway for locals. There was a time when you could catch 50 bass in day, many the size of that nicer one you had and some really good sized ones. There was no fence along the cement and it made it a lot easier to fish that area. After someone drowned, they put up the fence. The last time I was there (a few month's ago) I caught a lot but only small ones, 6 to 8 inch bass and a few smaller bluegill, but it was a blast on a 2 wt. The future looks good!

In your post you mentioned "smallies"? I take it you meant size?

Let me know when you decide to go with a kickboat, it's a great way to fish the lake.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
ryan15
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2009, 2:41pm

I meant small mouth bass but judging from your questions it seems I have identified the species wrongly. I looked up a picture and it seems that largemouth bass have the horizontal stripe as in the picture. I thought the hinge of the jaw on largemouth was behind the eye and the small mouth was at the eye. So we caught 4-6 largemouth each.

Ryan

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2009, 3:19pm

Right Ryan, the one in the picture is a largemouth. I don't believe there are any smallmouth in that lake. There are smallmouth in the Santa Ynez and Cachuma.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
ryan15
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2009, 3:43pm

Sorry SY,  

I was was using a floating like for everything.

Ryan

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2009, 8:46am

Nice report, thanks.  

Not to hijack the thread, but speaking of Cachuma, I've heard that the lake is kicking out some good size bass and if I can get this stupid outboard fixed in the next week, I'm going to give it a go. I've got a full supply of clousers and a serious itch for some bass. I'd sure like to see Cachuma permit toons on the lake even if just a cove or two.......

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2009, 10:19am

Quote from Fishstick on May 21st, 2009, 8:46am:
Nice report, thanks.
I'd sure like to see Cachuma permit toons on the lake even if just a cove or two.......

Wouldn't that be nice! At one time I actually thought there was a chance, the concessionaires were on our side but now with the ouagga It's another excuse to not consider it. It's so frustrating! Other lakes in Southern Cal allow them. They (float tubes and pontoons) are much cleaner than boats, there is far less contact with the water than with boats; I've never seen anyone wearing waders urinating from a float tube! The folks that make the regulations just don't seem to get it!

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
ryan15
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2009, 12:04pm

Oh man, I would love it if the would allow pontoon boats and float tubes in the large local lakes, Casitas and Cachuma. I don't have the time or the space needed for a boat. Its killing me. Wink Is it correct that even kayaks aren't allowed in either of these lakes.

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2009, 3:10pm

Yes. No kayaks either. Boat size must be 10ft or larger, absolutely no body contact with the water. Lopez is open and Santa Margarita as well. I've had several good days on Margarita, but it makes for a long day when you include the drive........

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #10 - May 21st, 2009, 4:55pm

Just to clarify things, Cachuma is the only lake that has always prohibited float tubes. To be used on the lake a boat has to be a minimum length, width and depth and inflatables have to have a wooden or metal floor. They don't list those specs on their web site but if you show up at the lake with a boat that doesn't meet requirements, they will turn you away.

Casitas used to allow float tubes before the recent discovery of the quagga. If Casitas were smart they would install lockers and rent them for float tube/kickboat and wader storage the way they do boats. If a boat is stored there it can be used in the lake without inspection; why can't float tubes and waders be handled the same way? There would also be storage fees as a source of revenue. I would mind leaving one of my kickboats and a pair of waders there if the storage fees were reasonable.

Many lakes do not allow body contact, but that has nothing to do with float tubes and waders. Santa Margarita is one example of a lake that has no body contact but float tubes and kickboats are fine. Obviously there is no body contact when fishing this way. A boat, however,  makes it easy to have contact with the water in ways like urination; something that is impossible in a float tube wearing waders. So there is less contact with the water in a float tube or kick boat. and they don't pollute!

Sorry if this thread got hijacked Ryan  embarrassed

I did go to Lake LC today and caught a bunch of 6 to 8 inch bass on a 1 wt.  Smiley

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Surf to SY

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2009, 6:22pm

The bass were taking olive wooly buggers today.

Here's one of the smaller ones:

Email   IP Logged
ryan15
Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 25th, 2009, 11:49am

No apology needed, I don't mind at all. It seems that the forum has become more active the last month or so and any means of keeping it up is good in my book. Also, I was at Santa Margarita this weekend and got a couple of hour of fishing in. I will post a report soon.

Ryan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print