Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 10:51am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Santa Ynez River (Read 4916 times)
Dunes

Santa Ynez River
May 18th, 2009, 7:14am

It looks like most of the trout are gone.  Sad  
Anyone else have better luck with the trout.

Yesterday, I headed to the river to wet wade in the warm weather. The water flow was down.

I caught two stockies, 3 smallies, and 1,000,000 bluegill. Okay, slight exaggeration. Bluegill loved the bh hare's ears 12-16 (all colors) and the black woolly bugger. Smallies were about 3-4 inches. The bluegill were mostly 2-3 inches but I did get some in the 5-6 inch range.

Saw carp but they ignored me. Has anyone had any luck honing in on the carp?

Dunes

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Santa Ynez River
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2009, 9:59am

Carp are very challenging! I love fishing for them in the Santa Ynez. Every time you think you find "the magic fly" the next time it doesn't work. Presentation is especially important as well as the mood of the carp. Nymphs, flies with bead chain eyes, san juan worm, small woolly buggers, are what seems to produce the most. Site fishing and accurate casting to feeding carp is the most effective method. It helps to see the actual take as you have to set the hook before the carp spits it out. This all happens very quickly.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Re: Santa Ynez River
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2009, 8:39am

I took my grandaughter up on Tuesday of this week to splash around in the pool behind the ranger station. Water level low and I was surprised to see a school swimming on the east side of the road so they obviously stocked this week. Did not have the rod with me and had planned on going back up the following day but got tied up with other projects. Given the level of the water, I'm guessing it will be the last stock until we get some rain......

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print