Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 10th, 2017, 11:42pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DFG vs Lower Nacimiento River fly anglers (Read 3597 times)
RooPhillip

DFG vs Lower Nacimiento River fly anglers
May 4th, 2009, 11:44am

A group of us fly-fishers has been wrangling with our local DFG office, trying to convince them that the Lower Naci should remain open to catch-and-release anglers.  The lack of response (and the overall experience itself) has been a lesson in bureaucracy!  

If you're interested in this issue, please visit www.blogspot.slotrout.com

Email   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: DFG vs Lower Nacimiento River fly anglers
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2009, 7:11am

What a mess!  My gut feeling is that this can be worked out. My gumption is that it must be totally aired out and that there is somewhere in here a lot of laziness on DFG. A sure way tod a lot less work and still get paid for it is to get sued and then say "oh well" we can not do anything because we are being sued. Somehow all the issues at hand don't seem clear here.  As well there is a lot of bad feelings and arrogance as well from the conventional fishers side as well as to what this is all about.  The bottom line from my point of view is to protect steelhead and resident rainbow populations from the taking public to the fat bottoms in  DFG.  
      Thanks and keep at it..do what is good for the fish         LEW

IP Logged
RooPhillip

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2009, 8:57pm

Thanks, Lew.

I agree with you that we must protect steelhead.  Our beef is that DFG didn't have to shut down the fishery to ALL FISHING.  The lawsuit and stocking ban pertain to stocking, not management.  When we confronted our local DFG person "in charge" with their error (backed by the plaintiffs of the lawsuit itself), they shifted into "ignore mode".  Sadly, it's tough to fight when your opponent has the power to ignore it's foe.   Sad

We were asking for catch-and-release to "continue", not be allowed as a "new regulation."  We've done it there for years!  Instead of put-and-take, since it can't be stocked now, make it a catch-and-release, barbless hooks fishery, like other special reg waters in the state, and give us a shot at any holdovers from last year's stocking.  To do otherwise is an injustice to no-kill anglers who fish(ed) there.  

Anyone worried that take-anglers will poach and fish-out the Lower Naci need to realize that check-in and check-out by DFG are required FOR ALL ANGLERS who fish there, and equipment (barbless hook) inspection by DFG would be very feasable.  Hunters use the base too, and DFG inspects their equipment, so staffing is not an issue, since they're already out there.  

Heck, they'd even continue to sell Camp Roberts permits to anglers, making revenue without having to pay for stocked trout.  What a deal they're passing up!  Smiley

Throughout this process, I've been fortunate to make many contacts with DFG personell, most of whom have been professional, understanding, and courteous.  The problem seems to be one of latitude, too much by too few.   undecided

Sorry, end of rant.  Thanks for listening!

Email   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2009, 7:21am

Keep struggling and make some good out of this. If you need a letter of support give us a shout. LEW

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2009, 2:35pm

Thanks for making us aware of this important issue. It's a shame that such a reasonable and good task can be so frustrating to get across.

Lew, I for one, would love to see us send a letter of support.

It's good to have you as a part of this forum, RooPhillip!

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print