Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 16th, 2017, 1:12am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Upcoming Road Trip (Read 1060 times)
ryan15
Ex Member

Upcoming Road Trip
May 1st, 2009, 9:07am

Hello All,

My brother and I are heading out on a trip to the eastern sierras. I believe we are going to Bishop the first day to visit the upper owens and hot creek. After that we are driving up to Bridgeport to fish the E. Walker, and that night we are going to head up near Reno and fish the Truckee. The reason I am writing is for some advice on fly selection and tactics and more importantly, nice campgrounds to stay at. I would appreciate any help. And I am still up for a fly swap is anyone is interested, I have been tying a lot lately and have some cool patterns I could share.

-Ryan

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Upcoming Road Trip
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2009, 12:35pm

I am soooo jealous!  Angry  Sounds like a great trip!

The Owens is loaded with fish because of increased stocking in that area. Other areas get less the East side gets more. Standard nymph patterns, small midge and baetis patterns, caddis pupa and elk hair dries. Stripping streamers deep; bring lots of split shot. Little pink scuds are a good one to have.

Hot creek, more of the same small nymph and dry patterns.

This time of year on the East Walker, small midge and baetis patterns are good producers but give streamers like wooly buggers, bunny leeches and matukas a try also. Try Golden stone too. For dries bwo, parachute adams are two good ones in about size 20.

In Bridgeport stop in at Kens for good inf0. The guides up in that area were very generous in supporting our fundraiser. If you need a guide see these people:

http://www.staybentfishing.com/services-fly.html

Are you doing any lake fishing? Bridgeport reservoir is great early in the spring for big, feisty trout. Of course Crowley is on the way and that's great too. Be good to bring some float tubes along.

Love the Little Truckee, one of my favorites. Unfortunately, the best parts are on private land.

There is so much camping along the way, it's hard to remember which was my favorites. It's been a few years since my trout bumming days up in that area. I used to love to camp at Crowley over near Green Banks or at Leighton Springs. You do need to put up with the clouds of midges and find a spot without too much cow crap but it's worth it to be near such great fishing. There have been many trips that I've been headed North and never made it past Crowley.

One of these days will have to do that fly swap. Maybe after you get back and I get out from under all the projects I've been trying to finish.

Have fun!  Smiley

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
lingcod
Board Member

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2009, 9:42pm

Ryan,

Are you aware of the fly tying each month with club members?  Look at the calander section on the web site.

I will be fishing the E. Sierra May 10-18.

Let me know if you are going to be around then.

Joseph

"The longer your cast the longer your line is in the water fishing". Lew Riffle
Email   IP Logged
ryan15
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2009, 11:09am

Road trip canceled, with the fires burning I dont feel comfortable leaving my wife and dogs here by themselves while Im 6-8 hours away.  Better safe than sorry you know.

Ryan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print