Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2017, 12:08am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recommendations for Secluded Camping/FlyFishing (Read 3536 times)
PasoFly

Recommendations for Secluded Camping/FlyFishing
Apr 23rd, 2009, 10:27pm

Hello - I'm looking for a place to take my daughter and wife for a few days. We have a pop up trailer and try to avoid crowds. I'd prefer to find a camping spot with running water and bathrooms if possible but not a lot of people. Cedar Grove in Kings Canyon is a good example. So is the Strawberry/Pinecrest area.

We live in Paso and are willing to drive 5 hours but 3-4 is preferable. Small lakes with no motor boats are ok, but a river would be ideal.

Any suggestions?

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Recommendations for Secluded Camping/FlyFishin
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2009, 11:21pm

Things get crowded down this way once the weather gets nice, at least on weekends. If I want to get away from the crowds I usually head up your way to Santa Margarita Lake.  It's a real nice area, nice camping, good fishing for bass, small bluegill and some nice crappie. Used to stock trout, but no more. No water ski, no jet ski, real nice lake; you can use a kickboat or motor boat for fishing. No swimming but has a swimming pool, hot showers and bathroom. It's also just a short drive from Paso.

Down this way the Santa Ynez Riverup above Lake Cachuma, has a lot of camping along Paradise Road. I don't believe any of the campgrounds are right on the river. There's camping at Lake Cachuma too, hot showers, restrooms near some of the sites; water in some sites.

Kern River, up above Bakersfield, has a lot of camping right on the river. This time of year it's still not too crowded but the river is running high from runoff.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
RooPhillip

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2009, 9:02am

We like Sequoia NP (south entrance is only 3 hours from Paso), especially the Mineral King area.  Don't think trailers are allowed in the Mineral King campgrounds, though.  The East Fork of the Kaweah River flows right through and has wild rainbows, and the Cold Springs campground is beautiful.  Several hikes to fishable lakes too.

I think trailers are allowed in other Sequoia campgrounds, though.  Potwisha is at the confluence of the Marble Fork and Middle Fork of the Kaweah (which are no longer stocked but may have holdovers and wild trout).  Stoney Creek allows trailers and the creek is stocked, but may be more crowded.

Hope that helps...

Email   IP Logged
PasoFly

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2009, 10:02am

Thanks - we are headed up to Kings Canyon in about a month, but the Mineral King area is calling. 3 hours is about my threshold for weekend trips, so that might be perfect.

Thanks

IP Logged
RooPhillip

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2009, 10:09am

Sorry, I should mention that the Mineral King Road does not open until May 22.  Hope that doesn't mess up your plans...

Email   IP Logged
PasoFly

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2009, 9:35pm

Thanks for the suggestions RooPhilip - just got back from the Kaweah. See my report in the Freshwater section.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print