Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 12:10am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Random Trout (Read 1635 times)
Surf to SY

Random Trout
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:06pm

I was hiking this weekend to tangerine falls above Montecito and I noticed a fish rising at the head of a very small pool. I left the trail to check it out and sure enough it was a rainbow about 7 inches long.  

I didn't expect that at all and I was wondering how it might have gotten there.

Email   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: Random Trout
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2009, 7:05am

Ah Grasshopper   you make me  Smiley     you have discovered the magic populations of resident rainbow trout in the middle upper reaches of the Mission Creek Drainage. Real trout in a real habitat rising to real food.  These are steelhead stock and the resident population is that portion of the coastal rainbows now inaccessible to the sea run portion of their population the steelhead.   They make steelhead because some of their  fry will run down stream over barriers. Not a complete life cycle but one that is helping them survive as a species. I think that some people have helped move them about up there but that is illegal in the DFG code.

Yes there is no fishing for them. But still watching them this time of year can warm the cockles of your fly fishing heart for sure.         LEW

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2009, 7:08am

Tangarine Falls is in the Montecito drainge much the same as the Mission. My bad  LEW

IP Logged
Surf to SY

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:27pm

Thanks Lew

It was a nice surprise to see that some of the natives survive even with our barriers and low flows

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print