Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 16th, 2017, 2:41pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I want to try fishing up at cachuma (Read 732 times)
Tylerfotophisher

I want to try fishing up at cachuma
Apr 13th, 2009, 2:33am

I want to try fishing up at cachuma and san ynez this week and I was just wondering where are good places to try fishing and decent flies for bass and carp for both locations.  Im kinda new to the whole lake fishing, I used to moving water and im not sure how much of a transition it would be.

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: I want to try fishing up at cachuma
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2009, 12:17pm

When fishing stillwater for trout you may find a full sink line useful. This will allow you to get the fly down to depths not possible with a floating line. That's not to say that some days when fish are cruising near the surface a floating line will not work, so will a sink tip sometimes. Sinking lines are rated for sink rate from 1 to 6. The higher the number the faster the sink rate. The number translates to: it will sink a little faster than that many inches/second. A weighted fly will  also help.

Streamer flies like wooly bugger and matukas are very effective. Damsels, midges and bait fish imitations are also good stillwater flies.

I would say that fishing from a boat with a full sink line, at least type 3 or 4, and using a wooly bugger or matuka would be a good way to try at Cachuma.

The Santa Ynez is well discussed in other posts, just do a search to find out more about that. It's moving water and it can not be accessed via Cachuma by boat. You have to drive to it and you can only reach areas that are well above the lake.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print