Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 11:12pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What flies to use? (Read 900 times)
bodhidq

What flies to use?
Apr 6th, 2009, 10:51pm

Hello,  

I am new to this site as well as to fly fishing in general and I am looking for some advice on what flies to use here in the area.  I live in Ojai and I have spent the last 20 yrs using spinners in our local streams.  I backpack extensively all over our local backcountry but I have no idea what type of insects are actually out there in the water.  Since I started fly fishing I have just been using general dry and nymph patterns that cover the widest group of insects possible.  Any help on what I should be stocking my fly box with is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: What flies to use?
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2009, 10:14am

Hello bodhidq, and welcome to the forum!

Standard fly patterns such as adams, royal wulff, bwo, mosquito, pheasant tail, hare's ear, prince nymph, copper john, etc. will be fine as far as drys and nymphs. One thing to keep in mind the size can be very important so be sure to have different sizes of each pattern especially 14, 16 & 18. Some, like the PT, you should have flashback versions as well.

In addition to you should have some streamer patterns, the wooly bugger being an essential part of any fly box. Sizes 8 to 12 in olive and black as well as other colors should do.

Soft hackles are also very effective so a couple of patterns such as partridge & orange in sizes 12 to 16.

Some days matching the local insects isn't the answer and attractor patterns that really don't look like anything but do catch fish are the answer. These can be odd colored or very flashy or just plain odd. Even a wooly bugger, especially a flash bugger, is often considered an attractor.

There are also terrestrial patterns that imitate ants, grasshoppers, etc. These can be effective sometimes too.  

There's a fly shop in Carpinteria on Santa Claus Lane (Artful Angler) They can help you pick out some good patterns for the area and season. There's also some good surf fishing down that way; different patterns of course.  Smiley

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
bodhidq

Re: What flies to use?
Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2009, 11:53pm

Hi,

Thanks for your help.  I have some of those patterns already and I will definately check out that fly shop in Carp.  This website is a great resource, I'm glad I stumbled upon it.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print