Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 18th, 2017, 10:42am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MLPA and this area (Read 2883 times)
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

MLPA and this area
Apr 5th, 2009, 9:32pm

I see there are many Drafts of proposed managed and closed areas. While many seem to have some necessary protection in mind, the one that concerns me is Draft External MPA Proposal C. It seems it's purpose is to close, completely, many areas that people in Santa Barbara fish. I am posting links to the full map and a closer map of the local area. Note: the areas in red would be completely closed.  Shocked

MLPA South Coast Region:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/scrsg_r1array_propc.pdf

Sub Region 1 (our area)
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/scrsg_r1array_propc_subreg.pdf

So, Lew, should we start worrying now?  Huh

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: MLPA and this area
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2009, 9:54am

Joe there I see a little wiggle room for some input. Maybe you can influence Eric that he is our best bet as spokesman.  They are asking for specific responses to these proposals.  The only proposals that matter are the ones that propose something so we should be concerned with the ones that propose something rather than  supporting nothing. Face the fact that there are going to be MPA's at Naples and Carpinteria.  We got a little shot at saving our surfishing by attacking the round peg in a square hole procedures of describing these areas in latitude and longitude taken out to the next largest whole minute. Case in point is Santa Clause Beach which gets included because the Carp Reef hangs out there so far to the west. There is enough sandy beach habitat protected if they started the beach side of the closure at the rocky point down coast. Also a catch and release area as a buffer could work here so as to stop a hard edge effect which we all know degrades the benefit of having protected areas in the first place. If they simply want to show the benefit by having larger fish in the MPA's  which seems to be the only thing they can show that the ones out at the islands are doing then here is a good way to guarantee that.  

Anyhow I will be gone at the end of the month when those meetings happen in Oxnard. However let's see if we can put some sort if input together if it is nothing more than sendind an Email to a stakeholder like Paul Lebowitz with our concerns.    LEW

IP Logged
lternullo
Board Member

Re: MLPA and this area
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2009, 10:51pm

This proposal is just pitiful.  It seems as though we can fish anywhere that does not have structure i.e. fish.  Other radical factions won't allow for artificial reefs to augment the available structure.  If we can't add more structure to the barren bottom that represents most of the Santa Barbara channel, it will be impossible to have a sustainable fishery to support the human population's food and recreational needs.  If this passes, the only salt water fishing options will be a plane ride away.  Surely, there are other ways to conserve the fishery and not close it down.

Lou

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print