Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 15th, 2017, 9:23pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Boat project update (Read 1479 times)
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Boat project update
Apr 5th, 2009, 7:30am

Well the ole' tri-hull I was restoring was plagued with enough engine issues that it was going to cost more to fix than it was worth so it's been sold.  

Perhaps my age is catching up with me or just wisdom from the experience of owning 9 boats in the past 20 years, but the new boat sitting in the garage is a significant departure from what I'm used to. I wanted something light, easy to tow, economical and versatile. A 12ft aluminum skiff on a trailer now sits in the garage. I've got a Honda 5hp kicker (looking for a 9.9) and will be setting it up for flyfishing. I put a coat of fresh paint on both hull and trailer last week, flipped her back over and will be starting on the deck and seats today. If anybody has recommendations on rod racks etc. I'm always open for new ideas.  

I'm guessing this is going to make a nice little skoot around the bays boat for the lake and something I can shore launch from just about anywhere. My bro-in-law lives in Montana near bigfork and he just informed me yesterday that he sold his big lake boat and downsized as well. Most of the best fishing occurs on the small lakes with motor restrictions of less than 10hp in his area and he is just loving his little tinny. The best thing is i've shelled out 300 bucks for boat, trailer (I already had the motor) and with a little elbow grease I should be on the water within the next couple of weeks. As far as the old saying that a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into, it's been a small expense by comparison to my past projects (knocking on wood).

If you have any recommendations for setting up the deck for flyfishing, l'd love to hear them.

As always, respectfully ....fishstick

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Boat project update
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2009, 1:12pm

Sounds nice Fishstick,  Cool

A deck for casting is a good idea but an important thing to keep in mind, nowadays, when putting in a deck is the boat inspections for Quagga at most lakes. If there is a deck that can have water underneath and it can't easily be removed for inspection and drying you might have problems.

I like the Scotty Fly Rod Holder.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2009, 6:15pm

Good point. I was thinking of decking it and had not thougt about that. If I do, it will be an easy lift out type deck. Thanks.

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2009, 7:39am

I took the decks out of my Gregor to aid in inspections. All a part of the game right now. Keep it simple. If you need any more boat parts or accessories Boater's World is going out of business and have their whole stock reduced at least 20%.      LEW

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2009, 1:56pm

Thanks. I saw the going out of business flyer on craigs list. Gonna hafta stop by. Need an anchor, line, trolling motor, life jacket etc. I was an idiot and let all that stuff go with the old boat.

IP Logged
lternullo
Board Member

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2009, 10:24pm

This is going to sound pretty obvious, but you want to make sure the rods are stored within easy grasp.  The hard part is finding places that don't point them straight in the air where you may cast.  A lot of the rod holders don't easily accept fly rods.  The white plastic ones can be filed down to fit the slightly wider reel seat on fly gear, so that the rod drops down far enough to be secure.  9ft rods on a small boat seem always to get in the way and you sure don't want to loose them over the side.  Maybe along the gunwales is a good spot with the type of holder that just cradles them.  Good luck with your project.

Lou

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2009, 10:48pm

Good points Lou. That's why I like the Scotty Fly Rod Holder. It's designed to hold fly rods and it easily adjusts and rotates to hold the rod at various angles and positions. While holding rod securely, it is quickly placed in the holder and as quickly removed. I use the float tube model on my pontoon.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print