Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 8:27pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sisquoc river? (Read 9276 times)
smog7

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Sisquoc river?
Mar 31st, 2009, 5:48pm

has anyone fished here? are any trout stocked?

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Sisquoc river?
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2009, 12:37pm

Sisquoc is not stocked. Steelhead can get up to it so I would think it's closed. They used to stock Davy Brown and Manzana but no more, same reason I imagine. The only two waters, other than lakes, that are stocked are Santa Ynez River (above Cachuma Lake) and Lion Caynon Creek.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
bodhidq

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2009, 11:26pm

Hi,

It depends where you go on the Sisquoc.  The upper Sisquoc, near it's springs, has excellent fishing for small natives.  That starts at Upper Bear, Bear and Lower Bear campgrounds and goes down from there.  The South Fork Camp has great fishing where the South Fork Sisquoc and Sisquoc converge but that is a long way from everywhere.  Even getting into the Bear Camps is about an 11 mile hike in  from Santa Barbara Canyon Rd. that you turn on from Hwy 33 near Cuyama.  I haven't fished the lower 'quoc yet but next week I am backpacking into Manzanita Schoolhouse camp behind Zaca lake so we'll see about that area. I hope you can use any of this inf0.

-Bodhi

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2009, 11:56am

Be sure and check the Special Regulations

This what I found, but you need to check them on your own to be sure:

Sisquoc River and tributaries (Santa Barbara Co.).  

Open All year.

Only artifcial lures with barbless hooks may be used.

Limit 0

It appears to be a C&R fishery. I guess it's not a trib of the lower Santa Ynez or it would be closed to fishing.

Anyway, I'm not a lawyer so I can't give legal advice that's why I say check it yourself  Wink

That's beautiful country up in that area, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Be sure and give us a report with some pictures. To post pictures, read this.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2009, 8:09am

I think the regulations reflect that it is Wild and Scenic River. The whole of the Santa Maria River Drainage is sort of a lost child who has bright eyes and a dirty face.   LEW

IP Logged
smog7

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 4:33pm

so there are trout in the santa maria river drainage??

I live right next to the river in santa maria, near the slo county line..

I'm guessing that all of the fighing is further upstream near twitchell reservoir??

IP Logged
Jeff_S

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2009, 12:22pm

From what I've read on other forums only the upper reaches have fish as stated in an earlier post.  The lower areas all reports I've read indicate no fish, too many low water years I'd think.  Be interesting to hear from someone that's recently fished any areas of the Sisquoc.

Jeff

Email   IP Logged
bodhidq

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2009, 11:29am

Last week I hiked into the the San Rafael Wilderness from Nira camp down to Manzana Schoolhouse.  I fished a good portion of Manzana Creek and ended up snagging a couple of two inch trout.  The water is flowing but I never even saw fish larger than 3 inches.  There are fish in Davy Brown Cr. from Nira camp all the way up to the Davy Brown campsite.  I didn't get a chance to fish up South Fork but I am taking a group of students back in to the area and I am going to check out that stream.  There are no fish in the lower Sisquoc because during the summer the water goes underground above Manzana Schoolhouse camp and doesn't reappear for miles down stream.  I did stop at Cachuma Creek on my way out and there was about 20 rainbows from 12"-18" all in a small pool near the road.  I caught and released about 10 fish on a small prince nymph in about 30 min.  I wish the fishing had been that good where I was backpacking.  I'll let everyone know if any fish have magically appeared in Manza Creek when I get back next week.

Email   IP Logged
bodhidq

Reply #8 - May 11th, 2009, 9:50pm

I just got back from Manzana Creek and the lower Sisquoc again.  I was in there for 6 days this time and there is not much more to report.  I fished about 4 miles of Manzana Creek that I was not able to get to last time and I caught 4 fish from 8"-10". I seemed like I caught each fish almost a mile apart.  Manzana Creek is a beautiful stream with lots of water and so many excellent spots  for fish.  I still can't believe that I didn't catch more fish! Maybe I'm not a very good fisherman Smiley  There are large schools of tiny fish in every pool but I am not sure if those are going to grow full sized.  I would like someone who really knows what they are doing to spend a day or two fishing Manzana Creek so I could know if the problem is me or if there are really no fish in that beautiful stream.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print