Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 16th, 2017, 8:07pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
upper Nacimiento River (Read 8885 times)
smog7

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

upper Nacimiento River
Mar 29th, 2009, 11:45pm

Has anyone fished it? I think I have driven by it.... is it the river that parallels the 101 going north near the paso robles area?

anyone have any inf0 on it? which exit to take from freeway? where do they stock the fish?  

Week of 4/19/2009 San Luis Obispo county
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/FishPlanting/Central.asp

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: upper Nacimiento River
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2009, 2:12pm

The portion of the river by Paso Robles would be the Lower Nacimiento and, I believe it is now not stocked and closed to fishing because of the steelhead. Also had fishing on Camp Roberts but you needed to buy a permit. It is now closed to fishing too.  

It's been a while but I remember, the upper river (above Nacimiento Lake) was planted and there was a road that got you back there and crossed the river. Sorry, I don't remember much more but hopefully someone else will.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
RooPhillip

Re: upper Nacimiento River
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2009, 9:59am

The Upper Nacimiento was stocked last Friday (4/30).  It is accessed via Nacimiento/Fergusen Road, which runs from the main entrance of Fort Hunter-Liggett to Highway 1.  Take the Jolon Rd. exit from 101, then about 25 miles to Hunter-Liggett.  Go through the main gate (you have to show your drivers' license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance) then follow the signs to Nac/Fergusen Road.  You'll pass through Hunter-Liggett and end up in the Los Padres National Forest.  The Ponderosa Campground is 2 miles up the road, and the Nacimiento Campground is another 2 miles.  DFG stocked the river "between the campgrounds".  Total distance from my house in Paso to first campground is 65 miles.

I checked out the Upper Naci River Saturday morning, having never fished there.  The river is really a creek, but a very pretty one.  The flows are dwindling (18 CFS today), but got a little spike from the rain Friday.  The flows seem pretty fishable; it's just very skinny water.  Not sure how long the flows will keep up, or at what level it will be unfishable.  Current flow inf0 is at http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?11148900

I didn't hook up Saturday.  I saw several trout holding in pods, and tried out my whole fly box on them, but no takers.  Maybe these stockers need a few days to spread out and relax.  Only saw two other fishermen (bait guys) who had bites but no hookups.  I'll try again this week and report on any luck (or lack thereof...)

WARNING: This place is POISON OAK CITY!  One thing that makes this a challenging place to fish is finding a place to get into and out of the water without bushwhacking through the stuff!

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print