Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 10th, 2017, 11:28pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Santa Ynez advice please (Read 2013 times)
nickeonthweb

Santa Ynez advice please
Mar 27th, 2009, 5:13pm

Hello again!
After a looooooooong wait I am finally going to Santa Ynez River for the first time tomorrow! Cheesy I was wondering if someone wouldnít mind sharing a good spot or a general area for me, I donít have any waders. I have been studying the map a little, and I am not sure where to start! Do they stock the river on the side of the lake that runs into the ocean? HuhDirections to where they stock the river would also be appreciated. I will write a report as soon as I get back home after my visit to the river. Man, I wonít be able to sleep tonight; it has been so long since last! Grin Thanks!
Niklas

Email   IP Logged
ryan15
Ex Member

Re: Santa Ynez advice please
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2009, 5:41pm

Nick,

I am not exactly an expert on the SY so I cannot give you great advice but in case someone does not reply to you sooner, don't fish the river between the ocean and the lake. I am pretty sure that area is closed year round due to an endangered steelhead run. The best way to get to the river is to go over Hwy 154 (Cachuma Pass) and take a right on Paradise Rd. Its a couple of miles past the peak of the pass. Follow Paradise Rd back as far as you'd like, I think the first place to enter the river is the Sage Hill Crossing just past the los Prietos Boys Camp. Good place to stop and throw a line would be above or below any crossing that is not full of gear fishermen. I hear that most standard nymph patterns will suffice (hare's ears, prince nymphs, pheasant tail nymphs, and some brightly colored not so standard patterns may be worth a try). It should be very nice tomorrow and the river isn't real cold or deep in most spots, wet wading should be good. Hope this helps and I am sure somebody with better advice will write soon.  

Ryan

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2009, 5:46pm

The river below the dam to the ocean is never stocked and:

CLOSED TO ALL FISHING ALL THE TIME

This is to protect the endangered Steelhead.

You can fish the Santa Ynez above Lake Cachuma. It can be accessed on Paradise Road. Take Hwy 154 from Santa Barbara to Paradise Road, turn right (the only way) and follow the road; it crosses the river in several places. They usually stock at each crossing and near the Ranger station. You will have to pay to park. There is a kiosk at the first crossing. It will beneficial to wade the river. Wading without waders is up to you and how cold you get. If you don't get fish at one stop or there's too many people, move up to the next crossing.

Have fun!  Smiley

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2009, 5:58pm

Looks like Ryan and I were replying at the same time  Grin

Ryan gave you good advice about flies, you might add wooly buggers to that list.

Sage Hill is actually the crossing to a group camp that is accessed from the ranger station. The first crossing is just past the Los Prietos Boys Camp; it's name is just "first crossing."

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
nickeonthweb

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2009, 10:01pm

Thanks so much! I was afraid I would not get any answers in time! I read before that some part of the river was closed, but I was not sure which part. I own those fly patterns and then some! I guess I will have to bring a pair of shorts.  Sounds like it could be crowded. I am going with a friend who incidentally is a gear fisherman. I will have to show him! Cool

Thanks again!

/Niklas

Email   IP Logged
nickeonthweb

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2009, 9:18pm

WOOHHHOOO Grin, just got back from a long hot day at the river, which was awesome! I stopped counting after catching and releasing about 12 troutís, and another 5-6 long releases. Maybe my fly-casting skills are not the best, it wants pretty Roll Eyes, but the fish didnít mind! Thanks for the help again! The flyís that was recommended worked like a charm, specially the flashback pheasant tail and the woolly bugger both olive and purple, oh and the alexandra fly was also great. I tried some dryís as well, but with less success, managed to hook one but he got off after about 10 seconds.  My arm is going to be sore in the mornin. Many thanks for the help again!!

Niklas

Email   IP Logged
PasoFly

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2009, 5:27pm

Hi All - well I asked a similar question about the Eastern Sierras the other day but now it looks lik ethis weekend might be the SY. I want to take my daughter and popup trailer. We'd arrive Fri afternoon and stay through Sunday. We are alergic to rowdy people that trash camp sites and have no repsect for their surroundings.  

Can anyone recommend a good campground within walking distance to a fishable section of the river that will be a bit more desolate than others?  

Also - any good short day hikes to hit good spots? My daughter is 9 and pretty tough, but nothing too long and strenuous please.

Thanks

IP Logged
Tylerfotophisher

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2009, 8:52pm

So i'm tryin to hit up the SY after class a couple days a week.   I went up today and it wasn't quite what i excepted.  I hooked two rather large Carp, but that was all.  I was wondering where the 12 trout a day are? what flies were you using.  Also I heard something about smallmouths and bluegills,  I was wondering what crossing was best for them.  Plus does anyone one want to hit up the SY together Sunday?

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print