Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 3:06pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Most useful accessory since the nipper (Read 1417 times)
Bob Merrilees

Semper Fi

Most useful accessory since the nipper
Feb 23rd, 2009, 4:30pm

This is the most useful fly-fishing accessory I have found to date. It is a VERY small stainless steel ring that you tie at the end of your leader thereby permitting you to change tippet without chopping 6-12 inches off the leader every time. I bought them in New Zealand and the only other place that Google can find them is Slovenia and at the factory in the Czech Republic (http://tinyurl.com/bypzen) . Maybe Eric can find a US supplier.  

Bob Merrilees

Hends MicroRing

« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2009, 5:37pm by Bob Merrilees »  
Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Most useful accessory since the nipper
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2009, 8:52pm

Bob, they're called tippet rings in English  Grin

They are commonly used on furled leaders but can be used with mono leaders. They don't seem to be too popular but they perform as you say. One brand that comes to mind is Angler's Image, another is Roman Moser. They come in different sizes, from about 2mm and up. I think they cost about $4 - $6 a 10 pack. Maybe Eric at the Artful Angler can order them for you. If he can't get them let me know I have some sources

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2009, 12:21pm

Another option.....and I'll admit it probably "Old School" but I've been using it for years: I generally tie a 10 inch section of green or orange Amnesia to the line as a butt section, then tie a loop knot in the end. I will connect the leader to the loop with the handshake method. Another advantage with this bright butt section is that it makes the leader section highly visable and acts somewhat as a strike indicator for detecting those light hits. Amnesia is inexpensive and I've had single butt sections last an entire season.

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2009, 12:46pm

Fishstick, these are used on the other of the leader, in between the leader and tippet. Your idea is great for attaching leaders, I do that too.

BTW, did you get the inf0 on the Fundraiser dinner? We have 5 Guided trips so far plus a lot of great stuff. It seems like there's enough items for everyone to leave with a prize!

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2009, 1:03pm

Ahhhh.... I stand corrected. I've not seen these, must give them a try.

Yup, got the inf0 and unfortunately I'm out of town on that day.......just can't seem to catch any free time for the next few weeks.......

IP Logged
nickeonthweb

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2009, 6:53pm

I used tippet rings last summer, they are simply great!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print