Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 5:09pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sand crab flies (Read 4359 times)
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

sand crab flies
Jan 27th, 2009, 7:01am

hi;

I am thinking about tieing up a few mole crab patterns for my trip in July.

I was thnking about tieing them with some lead eyes on top of the hook shank so the hook would ride up. Then I got to thinking that perhaps in the surf zone they are going to roll around so much that it would not make any difference.  

I know sometimes back here on the East coast Clousers work well when fishing the troughs or if the time between waves is long enough.

But from what I have been reading it seems like often you guys are fishing less than a foot of water. Do the flies tend to roll on the sand with the outgoing wave in that shallow of water, negating the value of having the hook ride up?

thanks

9ft4wt

" When it comes to cults, fly fishing isn't much different than most. Simply put, this means that enough is never enough. With luck you can reach a pleasant level of mellow fanaticism... " Ed Engle
  IP Logged
Dunes

Re: sand crab flies
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2009, 7:14am

9ft4wt

I have been thinking about it tying PMC imitations as well. While looking around for patterns and instructions, I came across this website http://www.fliflicker.com/. Many of them have eyes. Hope this helps?  
Dunes

IP Logged
Dunes

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2009, 7:18am

Sorry, I Left one thing out.  

Go to the "Flibox". There you will find 7 patterns for Pacific Mole Crabs.  

Cheers,

Dunes

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2009, 6:32am

Generally dumbell eyes are standard fare on the surf flies used here. They do help keep the hook up as well as imitate some sort of burying movement of the critter they imitate.  Check out GaryBulla.com. My montra on surf flies is "red or orange flies with dumbell eyes". Perch will suck up most anything that looks like food it's just knowing when they are doing it that is the art.          LEW

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print