Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 9:43am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rumor (Read 1809 times)
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Rumor
Jan 19th, 2009, 7:36pm

So I heard a rumor that the surf perch are going off in SB and points North to Gaviota.......anybody been out lately that can substantiate this????

IP Logged
lingcod
Board Member

Re: Rumor
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2009, 10:54pm

Fishstick,

The perch are there but I have not experience a bigger than usual event.

The mackerel and the smelt are  the most fun right now. (For me).

Get over to the beach before the storm comes in Thursday.

Joseph

"The longer your cast the longer your line is in the water fishing". Lew Riffle
Email   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2009, 6:28am

This past  weekend swell has mixed up things back to normality as far as winter surf fishing.
Before that the perch were hanging way outside and would come in just before the next set. I'm talking long period small swells here that the surfer community called flat but still expressed a lot of energy despite being small. The fish would grab your fly as the suck of the first wave of the next set brought the swirl of the impact zone to them with tasty displaced morsels. My theory  being that we don't get a chance to fish the feed zone in the winter because the perch hang way outside staying away from the power of long period swells  using it to to bring the food to them. Most of my perch where at the end of 80 foot casts these past few weekends. The exception being the smelt at the sand spit in the harbor. A distinctively different and fish able January this '09.     LEW

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2009, 12:30pm

Thanks. I was reading the post by Surf to SY and noted the jacksmelt action on the spit. Humm!!!  
My father is currently camping in Morro Bay and that may be an idea to get him out on some fish. We hit the surf yesterday near the rock and blanked. The waves are still rolling heavy up there and the fishing was difficult (almost impossible) with the fly rod. Thanks again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print