Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 7:01am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Off the wall question (Read 1049 times)
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Off the wall question
Jan 7th, 2009, 7:13pm

I recently picked up an older 19ft tri-hull which I'm rigging up for bass fishing on lake. I've done this before with an old larson; however, that was back when I gear fished for bass. This time I've built the front casting deck clear of hatches, fish finders, rod holders etc. that would tangle up the fly line. In the past I've used strictly foot operated electric trolling motors on the bow for scooting around the shore. I'm considering opting for the tiller control this time to keep the deck clean/clear of the foot pedal for the same reason I didn't put in hatches (tangling). I've not used a tiller model in the past and I wonder about the effeciency aspect of having to stop what I'm doing to steer the motor as opposed to the foot operated models where that's not an issue. Has anybody had experience with the tiller models that can shed some insite? All opinions would be appreciated.......

Respects

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: Off the wall question
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2009, 8:08am

Hey Fishstick, The tin boat fleet of SBFF uses tiller controls because they are cheap and we get along just fine kicking the motors this way and that to keep us on the fish. It's still foot control!  Stevey Jordan is the only one who has messed with foot controls and so far it worked well but not an epic change in boat handling. Your line is going to get wrapped around anything including that tiller handle. It's not so much as  stopping tangles as much as what you got to spend and want to deal with.  Moral decisions,knots you use, and all. I'm sure that a tricked out bass boat would be a deluxe casting platform and big improvement over what we are using right now.  
Up north the "blantonites" are all into their line containers, as well as remote control motors, which in my minimalist ways turns into a laundry basket and a tiller to kick around. We are the disciples of Larry Kuraski who catches big fish out of a sabot dingy with a tiller motor.    The tiller is not a big issue is my point. It works fine for fly fishing in my experience. Good luck  I'm working on a Unflite Bouy Tender right now myself.   LEW

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Re: Off the wall question
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2009, 8:57am

Thanks for the input Lew. I'm strongly leaning toward the tiller and noticed Wallyword has one at 50# thrust with a 42" shaft at a reasonable price that would probably work.  I suppose I could drop it on the toon as well and save some rowing time at margarita.  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print