Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 11:08pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Smelt (Read 3342 times)
Surf to SY

Smelt
Jan 4th, 2009, 6:52pm

The Jack Smelt are in and they're biting. We started off the new year well catching dozens of fish.  
It was a nice clear day with no wind also. There were plenty of double hook ups too with all the fish moving through.  

Please let me know if these pictures worked too because they look fine to me but lately I've been having some trouble posting pictures.

double hook up

Email   IP Logged
lingcod
Board Member

Re: Smelt with a few pics
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2009, 11:20pm

Johnny,

That was a great day out in the surf.

You told me that you zip the files before you upload them.  Does the program unzip them when you download to the site you use?  Also you sent me 10 mg files.  You said you shrink them before sending over the internet.  First I shrink them, send them to PhotoBucket, and then it is easy to download to the blog.

Here are some of the photos you sent me: (from PhotoBucket)

Double Hook Up

Joseph

Lew

Johnny wih another smelt

Tyler

« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2009, 10:04am by lingcod »  

"The longer your cast the longer your line is in the water fishing". Lew Riffle
Email   IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Re: Smelt
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2009, 6:18am

Now, that looks like fun. Glad someone was able to get out. I am getting cabin fever. Next trip not until Jan. 18/19.

9ft4wt

" When it comes to cults, fly fishing isn't much different than most. Simply put, this means that enough is never enough. With luck you can reach a pleasant level of mellow fanaticism... " Ed Engle
  IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2009, 6:48am

Better than a stick in the eye! Bet we caught more fish than anyone in the county!  Tyler wet waded all day to 4pm in 54 degree water and left wanting just one more fish. Good fun!    Uncle LEW

IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2009, 1:44pm

I use to catch something that looks very much like that jigging beneath the pier at Gaviota when I was like 7 or 8 years old. They were not quite that big, but someone told me they were smelt.  

9ft4wt

" When it comes to cults, fly fishing isn't much different than most. Simply put, this means that enough is never enough. With luck you can reach a pleasant level of mellow fanaticism... " Ed Engle
  IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2009, 5:58pm

While I've passed the spit several times heading out to sea, I've not fished on it. How does on get out there? Is there a path from the harbor???

IP Logged
Surf to SY

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2009, 9:17pm

If you head out past Brophy's and the Yacht Club onto the breakwater you can follow that out to the spit.  
Once you're there just walk on the wooden pathway on the rocks out to the sandy part of the spit.  
We usually fish the end closest to the wharf

Email   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2009, 9:04am

Much appreciated. Me thinks I need to take a couple of mental health days off and give her a shot. Looks like a fun way to spend a day.......thanks.

IP Logged
Surf to SY

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2009, 11:21pm

Definitely.  
You never know what you're gonna get on the spit

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:33pm

Surf to SY,

As I have mentioned before, pictures stored on Picasa web storage are problematic on forums. You should use you own space as provided by your ISP or something like Photobucket, it works. Wink

Look at the photos posted by lingcod, they are uploaded to Photobucket and work fine. And, Photobucket will give you the exact img tag to use for your photos.

If you wish to use your own web space as provided by your ISP, just contact them. They will provide you the information needed to upload your pictures and you can post them in the forum using the img tags.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Surf to SY

Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2009, 9:42pm

Yeah I figured it out finally.  
I posted a picture from Photobucket in the Freshwater post about the Santa Ynez.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print