Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 11:02pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Santa Ynez Flow? (Read 1531 times)
ryan15
Ex Member

Santa Ynez Flow?
Dec 8th, 2008, 11:24am

Hey all,

Hope everyone is having a great winter, or whatever it is that you call this slighlty luke warm weather in these parts Tongue Does anyone know if the Santa Ynez river is flowing yet. Or does it flow, it seems that when I have been up there that there is evidence of moving water but I have yet to see any. I miss rivers and I have not had anytime to venture to see any yet since I have moved down here.  

Thanks all,
Ryan

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Santa Ynez Flow?
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2008, 4:20pm

Ryan, The Santa Ynez does flow, just not very much or above ground in all places this time of year. It will flow after we get our winter rains. The wet time of the year in Santa Barbara is Dec to Mar with February being the wettest month. That's why the DFG usually doesn't start stocking until February; they wait for adequate flows. This is carp time on the Santa Ynez. Bass and panfish are also available if you do a little hiking.

Did you get to chase Steelhead yet?

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
ryan15
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2008, 10:51am

Thanks, I thought that they might open the dam soon because of the little but of rain we had. I'm excited to see it flow. No I haven't been chasing and steelies yet, but I'm still planning on it. I think I am going to fish the Trinity the weekend of the 19, if I can talk my brother into driving down we might try and split a guide. If not I will just head up and wing it.

Ryan

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2008, 11:34am

Unfortunately the water behind the dam is for the businesses and people of Santa Barbara to waste, not for the river and it's fish. Every time I go into the Carl's Jr. in Goleta in the morning I see an employee washing down the huge parking lot. I picture that, and all the other water being wasted, flowing down the Santa Ynez; it would be quite a river!

The Trinity right now has the same problems, not enough flow. Hopefully it will be better next month. There is a lot of accessible water on the Trinity. You should have fun. Keep me posted when your going. I might get up that way myself soon.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
ryan15
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2008, 4:38pm

Oh I agree that the river could be great, the entire valley recreation area is amazing. I love hiking around in there as much as I enjoy fishing it. It was a shock to me when I went up there in august or september and there was no flow. I forgot that there was another dam between the river and the ocean meaning I thought that there would be a federal regulation requiring the minimum maintenace of flow for the Steelhead/Salmon. Back home there are huge fights between the conservationists and the power companies and the farmers. Either way I still love spending time in the valley and will enjoy any opportunity I get to wet a line in a mildly secluded setting.  

Ryan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print