Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2017, 12:09am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
my fickle friend, the summer wind (Read 3625 times)
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

my fickle friend, the summer wind
Dec 5th, 2008, 6:18am

My brother just send me a tide chart for next july when we will be in Santa Barbara, but it got me to thinking about the impact of the winds on fishing.

I tend to het the salt when i can because my opportunities are limited and don't worry too much about the wind unless it is blowing a gale.

But I know it makes a big difference. Down on the Outer Banks, a slight northeast wind is good for surf fishing. A Westerely wind can clear and cool the water, increasing the chnaces for decent speck and spanish mackerel fishing, if the water doesn't get too cold. A southwest wind tends to flatten the surf and muddied the waters which can be good for bootom fish like croaker and spot.  

Thats the limit of my knowledge. After that it gets pretty complicated with certain spots, depending on the land shape and wind direction becoming more productive than others.

Was just wondering about the effect of winds in general on SB surf fishing.

any thoughts appreciated.

thanks

9ft4wt

" When it comes to cults, fly fishing isn't much different than most. Simply put, this means that enough is never enough. With luck you can reach a pleasant level of mellow fanaticism... " Ed Engle
  IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: my fickle friend, the summer wind
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2008, 6:53am

In July you can pretty much expect wind in the afternoon from the southwest(5 to15mph) which is on shore driven by the warm daytime  temps inland.  We generally fish the mornings that time of year but there are weather opportunities that make for some great evening fishing as well.  It is the time of the corbinas in skinny water. The southwest wind stirs things up and offends most.   LEW

IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2008, 7:27am

Thanks, Lew.

probably will do most of our fishing in the early am.

9ft4wt

" When it comes to cults, fly fishing isn't much different than most. Simply put, this means that enough is never enough. With luck you can reach a pleasant level of mellow fanaticism... " Ed Engle
  IP Logged
lingcod
Board Member

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2008, 9:57pm

4 Wt,

Following up on Lew's comment: July can be foggy in the mornings and then clearing in the afternoon.  As the fog lifts the wind gets going.  If the water has started to warm up the fishing can really get going in the surf.  Mornings are the best time to hit the surf in July.

Over the past month Lew, Mark, and I have been enjoying a run on Yellow Fin Croaker, Jack Smelt, and Spanish Mackerel.  The croakers are strong fighters and that is a new fish to add to my fly rod caught fish list.

Joseph

"The longer your cast the longer your line is in the water fishing". Lew Riffle
Email   IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2008, 12:12pm

Thanks, Joseph. Still nine months away but can't wait.

congrats on the croaker.

Are they similar to east coast style croaker? A two pounder will put up a great fight on a five or six weight.

9ft4wt

IP Logged
lingcod
Board Member

Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2008, 11:43pm

4 wt,

My fish book is for the West Coast species.  I would have to consult the web to see the subtle differences.

Two summers ago I was flyfishing in New Jersey, on Long Beach Island.  A guy walking down the beach said, "you can't catch a fluke on a fly rod"!!  I thought it was a flounder.  But then someone else on the beach said it was a sole.  It looked like a halibut to me and that is what I called it.  It was a nice, big, flat fish.  It gets kind of confusing, if you know what I mean???

So, to make a short story long, (as fishermen are want to do), I think croaker from coast to coast must be similar enough to cause confusion.

Joseph

Email   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2008, 6:26am

One book that all accomplished saltys have for fish identification is Gar Goodson's "Fishes of the Pacific Coast"(Stanford Press).  A great little book with a lot of information like how many different types of varied croakers we are privileged to fish for.  Fish informed!   LEW

IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2008, 12:08pm

Joseph:  

It can all get quite confusing with the name thing.

A fluke is another name for summer flounder. Folks in the Northeast tend to call them fluke. Down here around the Chesapeake we call them flounder.  Sole or lemon sole is another name for winter flounder, but some anglers also call them halibut.

That is an easy compared to what I think is an east coast cousin of the corbina, the king fish, which is just as likely to be called a round head, whiting, mullet, pollock, or slake.

9ft4wt

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2008, 6:14pm

9ft4wt, your right about common names for fish being confusing but then we would go nuts trying to identify and memorize scientific names  Grin

When you said,

Quote from 9ft4wt on Dec 12th, 2008, 12:08pm:

what I think is an east coast cousin of the corbina, the king fish, which is just as likely to be called a round head, whiting, mullet, pollock, or slake.

I had to really do some research because, at first, nothing in my mind on that list would come close to a Corbina. A King Fish was a King Mackerel and all the others were also something entirely different. But then I realized that a Corbina is a member of the Croaker family (Sciaenidae) and can also be called, but never are, a California Kingcroaker. The east coast has a Northern Kingcroaker and it is also of the same family, Sciaenidae.  

California Kingcroaker (Menticirrhus undulatus)
Northern Kingcroaker (Menticirrhus saxatilis)

They are very similar fish. The California Kingcroaker or Corbina as we call them, do get larger than their east coast cousins.

Then I did some research on the common names for the Norhthern Kingcroaker and came up with:

king whiting
kingcroaker
kingfish

Now some of the names in your list make sense. Mullet & Pollack, however, ??????. But then that's why common names can be confusing.

By the way, we have some really big mullet out here. They frequent estuaries, not the surf, and are really challenging to catch.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2008, 10:34am

Yeah, Joe the king fish runs on the small size, a two-pounder is good sized and not all that common. I have got a few on the fly, but they are not a species we target. Most of them fall to bait fishermen.

That's what makes the corbina so intriguing.

9ft4wt

IP Logged
lingcod
Board Member

Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2008, 10:05pm

Gentlemen,

Here are a couple of websites I use for fish identification going from the simple to the Ph.D. data base at the University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB).

http://www.darrp.noaa.gov/pacific/montrose/pdf/msrp_fishid.pdf

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/fish.htm

http://www.lovelab.id.ucsb.edu/index.html

Joseph

Email   IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Reply #11 - Dec 16th, 2008, 6:26am

Joseph:

Great sites. thanks for sharing.

9ft4wt

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print