Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 15th, 2017, 2:00am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Salt water reels Recs (Read 1573 times)
Dunes

Salt water reels Recs
Nov 14th, 2008, 10:19pm

Hello folks,

Well, after months of fishing freshwater.  I think I am ready to take the plunge and purchase myself a decent rod and reel for the surf. Though I have nailed down the rod brand (TFO) and size (8wt) I am still a bit unsure on the reel.  

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good reel that can stand up to the sand and grit of surf fishing?  

I am not that interested in maintaining the internal components and have heard that Lamson Konic might be worth considering, as the components are sealed?  

What about stripping buckets? Anyone used the Mangrove Hip Shooter?

Thanks in advance.

Dunes

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Salt water reels Recs
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2008, 11:46am

The Lampson reel you are talking about is a new model replacing one of last years models that I heard had a lot of problems. Let's hope this one has resolved them. Keep in mind that these reels are not machined from bar stock but are cast. They use a slightly better casting process than some really cheap reels but are still not as durable as a good bar stock reel. Cast reels bend easier because they are softer. Even though they are anodized it is not of the same quality as a good quality deep anodization that can only be done on bar stock. Maybe that's why they are also coated with a finish to help protect them from corrosion. Cast reels are much more susceptible to corrosion and require more care than deep anodized bar stock reels.

Of course you will pay more for a higher quality reel. An Able may cost you 5 times more but is super strong because of the high quality bar stock material and the deepest anodization. Redington makes some bar stock reels for about the same price as Lampson's cast reel. Ross's CLA costs a little bit more but is also bar stock and Ross guarantees that extra spools will always be available even if they discontinue a model.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind on a rod but I believe choosing one should be done by trying a few different rods. I have nothing against TFO but some of the models I have tried are a bit soft and others have soft tips. These type of rods do not handle the shooting heads that are most often used in the surf to my liking. What model were you looking at?

I see you live in Santa Maria, if you ever get to Santa Barbara there is a fly shop here (in Carpinteria, The Artful Angler) that you can actually see and try different reels and rods. The term "try before you buy" is good advice when it comes to fly fishing equipment. Besides, the surf fishing is real good right around the shop so it makes the trip even more justified.  Smiley

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
jburk
Board Member
SBF Club Member

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2008, 7:48pm

See Eric at the Artful Angler in Carpinteria.

John

IP Logged
Dunes

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2008, 6:38am

Joe,

Thank you for the reel suggestions. I will definitely take a look at them.

Quote:
Sounds like you've already made up your mind on a rod but I believe choosing one should be done by trying a few different rods. I have nothing against TFO but some of the models I have tried are a bit soft and others have soft tips. These type of rods do not handle the shooting heads that are most often used in the surf to my liking. What model were you looking at?

I am looking at spending around $160 on a rod and from what I had read the price and quality matched up. However, I definitely want to get the right tool for the job and am willing to spend more. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

By the way, I have been meaning to get down to visit the Artful Angler but have a million excuses for not taking the time. This weekend is all booked up, so wil have to put it off until next Saturday.

Thanks for your assistance,

Dunes

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2008, 7:26am

I think you can find a rod within your budget that will work well for you.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print