Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 12:53pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No more fish planting in California? (Read 11031 times)
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

No more fish planting in California?
Nov 14th, 2008, 9:22am

A lawsuit filed by Stanford law school has asked for an injunction to stocking non native species of fish in California waters. A California Superior Court Judge has ask the DFG to seek a solution to the fish stocking program by meeting with the petitioners.

The lawsuit is over fish stocking programs that have been conducted by DFG without an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the programs. The DFG, however, is conducting EIRs because of a 2006 lawsuit. It was filed by the Pacific Rivers Council and the Center for Biological Diversity. These studies will not be completed until 2010. Hmm ... I wonder if there has been any EIRs completed for the illegal stocking of humans that deplete the fisheries, native and otherwise, in California? Or, the lack of law enforcement personal to protect native species.

If an agreement is not reached between the DFG and the petitioners, an injunction could be issued to halt stocking of non-native trout and salmon. It would seem the environmental impact of this would be devastation of native populations by legally and non legally established humans who wouldn't have stocked trout to prey on.

Most of all the trout stocked in California are not native to the waters. Of course, most all of the lakes in California are not "native" either. Does stocking trout in a man made lake have any significant effect compared to the man made lake itself? The trout stocked in rivers like our Santa Ynez and local creeks are stocked with a non native trout strain. To stock native fish, they would have to raise a Steelhead strain.

I believe an agreement will be reached and stocking will continue. The economic impact will play a larger role than the environmental impact; it usually does. That's why the judge is asking the parties to reach an agreement.

Some reading on the subject:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news08/08124.html

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/pubnotice/hatchery/

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2008/fish-stocking-11-11- 2008.html

« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2008, 11:21am by Forum Admin »  

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: No more fish planting in California?
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2008, 7:50am

Thanks Joe for bringing this issue to light for us. I agrre with your observations on this issue.

This is not necessarily a new issue. Cal Trout tried a similar tactic about ten years ago. DFG has been incapable of coming up this EIR on its trout planting program. This is just another "friendly suit" which hopefully prod them along towards some sort of action on this matter. For sure it will provide some jobs for the plaintiff's with their teeth in it.  

“Interim measures limiting stocking are needed to help save California’s native fish and frogs from extinction,” said Noah Greenwald, biodiversity program director for the Center for Biological Diversity. “Fish and Game should still be able to stock hatchery fish, but in places where they won’t harm native species."  I guess that this is not all that bad a request. The wrong trout have been put in the wrong places and we have a lot of problems because of that. We simply don't need to continue in making these  mistakes which DFG has shown a propensity for.  

This is posturing for a new era which swings with the change in attitude expected from the Department  of the Interior under the new administration.

Maybe some good and certainly a  lot of billable hours will come out of this.  I just hope this time something will happen more than just a lot of hot air saying "please donate".

Thanks Joe for bringing this issue to light for us. I agrre with your observations on this issue.
                                                                                                          LEW

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2008, 7:56am

And Joe by the way....Thanks Joe for bringing this issue to light for us. I agrre with your observations on this issue.  
 Sorry I  Grindid not mean to repeat that for  no other reason other than the difference of a cut and copy and trying to make my post "more readable".    Grin    LEW

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2008, 10:58am

Thanks for the input Lew.

I agree that the DFG stocking program needs to be more responsible. For the last 200 years the policy has been: let's stock there because we can figure out a way to do it. This has had disastrous effects on native species like our State fish, the Golden Trout. It's only in recent years that they have cut way back on stocking some species like the Brown Trout, which is not native to any waters in this country but at one time was stocked in many waters of our state. Our state has become very dependent on a stocking program and the situation needs to be resolved.

In the meantime something strange is happening on the DFG web site. I looked to see if any trout plants were scheduled. Yesterday only plants in city parks were scheduled; today the whole web site is restricted to login? Very strange!

« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2008, 1:35pm by Forum Admin »  

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2008, 6:59am

Yeah the Bass Guys are starting to whine about this as well.  cry      There have not been the usual fall plants going  on in the "feed the bass" lakes.  They don't have anything nice to say about the kids at Stanford Law!     LEW

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Update Re: No more fish planting in California?
Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2008, 2:12pm

It looks like an agreement has  been reached. Some stocking will be discontinued; the list of exact waters will be available soon. The agreement does allow stocking in most all man made lakes and reservoirs. Some rivers may be stocked but only with native species. I suspect there will be no stocking of the Santa Ynez in the future as there are no hatcheries raising the species of native steelhead that were once found there. Many other rivers may also come off the stocking list; for example, the many small creeks in Santa Barbara and other California counties. The city parks will not be affected and the Trout In a Classroom program will continue.

I just hope the worst case scenario, one in which the "catch and kill" crowd will deplete waters of native species, doesn't happen.

Here's some details:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news08/08131.html

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2008, 7:37am

The red legged frog item #2 will stop planting in the Santa Ynez very possibly. There is a large protected area(declared habitat) just to south of the Los Prietos crossing. Here we have some incongruency that has to be worked out. Maybe it will be taken care of. We will see when they get this list out. I don't get the rainbow v.s. red legged frog issue  since they both naturally occur in the same habitat. Leave it to lawyers  and neurotic biologists to get to real truth...not!

Possibly it could be that planting makes for an over abundance of trout that may disseminate red leg frogs. The proponents of this recent suit are very biased toward amphibians as the indicator species of a healthy riparian habitat and really don't like us fishermen near frogs and toads.  

While it looks like this issue is not as bad as first feared, the plaintive parties involved are not out to protect fisheries for recreation. It is for their cause which to protect the environment on a diversity basis. This cause seeks to change our fisheries back to a more natural state. A noble cause which gets hijacked all to often by large foundations and large salaries that run them. That is the gorilla in the corner to keep an eye on here.  

LEW

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2008, 12:48pm

They now have lists posted. Use the above  URL( the purple text) link and you will see a yellow box to click on the upper right. Santa Ynez is listed as a "will stock"  water. However the Kern  River is listed as a" not" water. Good in the long term since this usher along plans for the hatchery program for the Kern River Rainbow but in the short term less fish to catch up that way.   It ant' all that bad but sure could get better!    Wink       LEW

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2008, 9:31am

I'm surprised about the Santa Ynez and even more so that Lion Canyon Creek is going to be stocked. I did notice that Davy Brown and Manzana were not on the list.

The Kern not being stocked is a bit surprising but they were planning to stock the native Kern River Rainbow any way so we may see stocking of them soon. I have seen some of these native fish (Kern River Rainbow) being raised in the hatchery and they are quite different than the standard hatchery fish. They would shy away and hunker down when they were approached. In sharp contrast, the standard hatchery fish would just about jump out and try to grab your hand if placed over the fish; they would boil on the surface looking like a Hollywood version of a school of Piranha. I look forward to seeing "real" trout being re-established in the Kern.

It should also be noted that Lake Isabella will be planted and many of the plants will travel up the Kern. In the winter and early spring the Kern has a good run of lake fish coming up to spawn.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2008, 6:25am

Joe you might chime in on the Kern River FFF with your observations on the Kern. This  can kind of be an opportunity to get the Kern River Rainbow recovery more momentum.  Several posts on the planting stopping but no swifty has figured this out. Even with the topic on KRR recovery at the top of the page!       LEW

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2008, 9:09am

I've been meaning to do just that but haven't had time; hopefully I will later today.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print