Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 3:03pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Steelhead and/or Other Salmonids (Read 2124 times)
ryan15
Ex Member

Steelhead and/or Other Salmonids
Nov 14th, 2008, 8:22am

Hello All,

So as I have pointed out in other posts I am fairly new to the area and would like to ask anyone who is willing to part with the information about any steelhead or salmon chasing opportunities within say 4-7 hours of SB. I know there are still fish in the surf and I have been out to the SY a few times but I am having cravings that only frigid water, iced up guides, and a dismal chance of hooking a fish can satisfy. I am hoping to put together a long weekend in December and may have the opportunity to put in a serious effort to chase steelies. Any insight would be appreciated.  

Ryan

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Steelhead and/or Other Salmonids
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2008, 10:38am

I fully understand your cravings.  Grin Unfortunately the 7 hr criteria may have to be increased. Of course, in all the rivers around here the Steelhead are protected. There are many rivers in Northern California with Steelhead fishing, but this being a very large state it takes a bit more than 7 hr. to reach rivers like the Kalmath and Trinity. Closer Steelhead fishing can be found in and near Sacramento. The American can be real good if you hit it the right time and you can get to Sacramento in 7 hr. The Yuba River north of Sac can also be good. The Trinity would be about 10 hr. The winter run season will be here soon. Of course there are summer and fall runs and the fishing should be getting better every day. I hope to get up that way myself in January.

Check The Fly Shop reports:

http://www.theflyshop.com/streamreport.htm

and Kiene's:

http://www.kiene.com/reports/loweramericanarticle.shtm

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
jburk
Board Member
SBF Club Member

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2008, 8:00pm

Ryan,

The fish you are looking for aren't around here regretably.  Better you take off for the Bishop/Mammoth area on the Eastern slope of the Sierra and see the big country and what it has to offer.  Other than that--better head north.

John

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2008, 8:45pm

John,

There are no Steelhead or Salmon on the east side of the Sierras (Bishop/Mammoth) except for Kokanee. Only water that connects to the ocean has them. There is Steelhead from LA to the bay area but they are protected in the south and protected or strictly regulated in some of the rivers up towards the bay area. Some of the rivers are open only when flows meet requirements. Many waters have special and unique regulations.

If you go fishing up north note that Salmon have a zero limit except for this time of year in an area of the Sacramento river between Red Bluff Diversion Dam and Knights Landing where, I believe, you can keep one. Check the regulations for details. For Steelhead you need a Steelhead Fishing Report and Restoration Card on which you must record location and date you fish plus information aif you keep a fish and if it is a wild or hatchery fish.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
jburk
Board Member
SBF Club Member

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2008, 11:51am

Thanks Joe,  Yes, I know there are no Salmon & Steelhead around Bishop--I was suggesting for him to look around and see what is available.   And to go north could mean way north-- even to Alaska.  You are right to advise him to check things out first.
John

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2008, 1:03pm

I'm sure you knew that John but since Ryan is new to the state, and specifically is seeking Steelhead, I didn't want him to think he could find them in Bishop or Mammoth. Should also point out that since he is going in December, most of the fishing will be closed on the East side until the last Saturday in April. Fishing there will be limited to the parts of the Owens, Hot Creek and a few other places.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
ryan15
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2008, 2:57pm

Hey thanks guys. I appreciate all the feedback and will take all of it under advisement. The catch limit doesn't really bother me, I haven't kept a fish since I was pretty young. But I think that I am going to head north to the russian or the trinity or maybe the Klamath. My brother is going to drive down from Seattle and those rivers are all roughly half way. I am excited, I haven't fished with my brother in over a year and I haven't chased any chromers in longer.

Ryan

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2008, 2:01pm

If memory serves, the Smith river on the Cali/Oregon border (Crescent City) has a decent steel run from Mid Dec through Feb. That's a fair midway mark between Seattle and SB and some beautiful country to boot. I'd say you would likely fill that Ice-on-the-guides urge as well......

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print