Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 15th, 2017, 9:29pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Take me to your leader.... (Read 1233 times)
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Take me to your leader....
Sep 23rd, 2008, 6:17pm

....please.

Hi Joe.:

This whole 12 foot leader on an integrated sink tip has me flumoxed. I am mostly a trout guy, and have a lot to lear about saltwater even on the east coast.

Usually when i am throwing a sinker, I have a short 2-3 foot leader. Generally it is just a straight shot of 16-pound or 12 pound Andes hard mono or maxima.  

I assume you use the sink tip to get through the surf zone and the long leader because corbina are leader shy.

I typically use a integrated 30 foot sink tip. For my 8wt I go 250 to 300 grain. I also have one of those Rio multi head lines with the loop-to-loop connection. It hinges a little, but I can toss it OK. On your sink tip is it a fast, medium of slow sinker? Are you making your own or buying them prefab?

For the leader, are you building them, buying them at 12 foot or just adding tippet to a 9 footer?

What is the butt diameter? For throwing double clouser rigs back here on my intermediate or floaters I like a .27 or so stiff butt.

Do you have a recipe your are willing to share?

Thanks.

9ft4wt

" When it comes to cults, fly fishing isn't much different than most. Simply put, this means that enough is never enough. With luck you can reach a pleasant level of mellow fanaticism... " Ed Engle
  IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Take me to your leader....
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2008, 1:35pm

Don't let the 12 ft leader fluster you.  Wink Use whatever length you can manage well. It is more important to be in contact with your fly. It won't do you any good to have a long, stealthy leader if you can't keep out the slack to feel the take. I'll usuall start out with a about a regular tapered 7' 2X leader.  If I find it necessary to have a longer leader, I'll add tippet; 2X, 3X and sometimes 4X. I use high quality, strong, fluorocarbon tippet material.  

The intergrated or attached shooting heads are fine. The heavier ones will get you through the surf faster and a 300 grain is about right for an 8 wt., although it depends on the actual rod. Sometimes, when site fishing in skinny water long leaders and intermediate lines are used

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Re: Take me to your leader....
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2008, 10:12am

Thanks, that sounds simple enough.

9ft4wt

" When it comes to cults, fly fishing isn't much different than most. Simply put, this means that enough is never enough. With luck you can reach a pleasant level of mellow fanaticism... " Ed Engle
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print