Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 10:53am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
inf0 II (Read 2392 times)
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

inf0 II
Aug 26th, 2008, 6:34am

That other thread was getting a little long. So, I figured to start another.

Catfishing was good by the way. Have caught a few small cats when smallmouth fishing, but this was the first time I have ever targeted them. Flatheads is darn ugly...

Some follow up questions on the leaders, Joe: Are you using the 12 foot leader with the shooting head or sink tip? Or only with the intermediate? Is it tapered? What size tippet?  

What kind of strip do you recommend. Fast? Slow with stops like for a bonefish? Bouncing?

Are they cruising the beach like snook (seen snook doing that, have yet too catch one) or pretty much holding stationary?

Thanks
9ft4wt

" When it comes to cults, fly fishing isn't much different than most. Simply put, this means that enough is never enough. With luck you can reach a pleasant level of mellow fanaticism... " Ed Engle
  IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: inf0 II
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2008, 8:18pm

Quote from 9ft4wt on Aug 26th, 2008, 6:34am:

Some follow up questions on the leaders, Joe: Are you using the 12 foot leader with the shooting head or sink tip? Or only with the intermediate? Is it tapered? What size tippet?

I may use it with a fast sinking shooting head or an intermediate line.  As long as I can keep it straight during retrive, no slack. It's better to have a short leader if you can't keep out the slack. I do use tapered leaders and high quality fluorocarbon 4X to 2X tippet, depending on conditions.

Quote:

What kind of strip do you recommend. Fast? Slow with stops like for a bonefish? Bouncing?

I vary it with conditions but usually, I like to strip as slow as possible while keeping contact with the fly. Slack line = missed takes.  

Quote:

Are they cruising the beach like snook (seen snook doing that, have yet too catch one) or pretty much holding stationary?

They tend to cruise.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2008, 6:55am

Thanks, again Joe.

Do the corbina stay in the surf zone pretty much all the time? Or do they come into that area from deeper water during a specific tide? You know sort of like bones moving in and off the flats.

Are there tips and tricks for reading the beach to figure out where the most productive spots might be? Back here in Virginia, we go out at lowtide and look for holes, rip lines, breaks in the outer bar,shell piles, etc... Or would I be just as well served to walk out to a nice sandy beach and start casting?

Are most of the corbina caught blind casting or site casting?

What is considered a good day? 1 fish? 5 fish? 10 fish I am guessing that even for guys that know how to play the game, it is a challenging fishery. For newbies, I suspect it is going to be more dumb luck.

Hope you get to bruise some lips this weekend.

9ft4wt

" When it comes to cults, fly fishing isn't much different than most. Simply put, this means that enough is never enough. With luck you can reach a pleasant level of mellow fanaticism... " Ed Engle
  IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2008, 11:24am

Quote from 9ft4wt on Aug 29th, 2008, 6:55am:

Do the corbina stay in the surf zone pretty much all the time? Or do they come into that area from deeper water during a specific tide? You know sort of like bones moving in and off the flats.

They feed in the surf zone and that's the area you will be targeting them.

Quote:

Are there tips and tricks for reading the beach to figure out where the most productive spots might be? Back here in Virginia, we go out at lowtide and look for holes, rip lines, breaks in the outer bar,shell piles, etc... Or would I be just as well served to walk out to a nice sandy beach and start casting?

Reading the the beach is much pretty the same and a good idea.

Quote:

Are most of the corbina caught blind casting or site casting?

I would guess blind casting, but blind casting into areas where you've spotted Corbina would be more productive.

Quote:

What is considered a good day? 1 fish? 5 fish? 10 fish I am guessing that even for guys that know how to play the game, it is a challenging fishery. For newbies, I suspect it is going to be more dumb luck.

While there will be days when an experienced fisher could catch several, I think anyone would be very happy to catch one in a day.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2008, 8:30am

When fishing the two fly rig, you throwing two different size flies? Two different patterns or the same pattern?

You dropping the second fly back about 18 inches?

9ft4wt

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2008, 2:19pm

Quote from 9ft4wt on Sep 2nd, 2008, 8:30am:

When fishing the two fly rig, you throwing two different size flies? Two different patterns or the same pattern?

Usually different, patterns and sizes.

Quote:

You dropping the second fly back about 18 inches?

Yes, sometimes less

Did anyone ever contact you regarding membership?

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2008, 9:12am

Thanks again.

I haven't been contacted on membership at this point.

I am getting the impression that Corbina take the fly while it is stationary and sitting on the bottom as opposed to hitting it while it is bouncing or swimming. is that correct?

9ft4wt

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2008, 9:30am

Quote from 9ft4wt on Sep 15th, 2008, 9:12am:

I haven't been contacted on membership at this point.

Sorry, I will contact him again.

Quote:

I am getting the impression that Corbina take the fly while it is stationary and sitting on the bottom as opposed to hitting it while it is bouncing or swimming. is that correct?

No, I would say moving. It's pretty hard to imaging anything sitting still in the surf. If you tried not to keep tension to the fly and keep it moving you would lose contact and not feel a take.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Reply #8 - Sep 18th, 2008, 11:11am

Thanks once again.

For other species such as halibut are they caught in the same surf zone as the corbina or do they tend to be in slightly deeper water ?

Do you look for halibut over sandy bottoms?  

Are they more likely to be caught on an incoming or outgoing tide?

9ft4wt

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print