Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 13th, 2017, 5:15am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fishing for inf0 (Read 2586 times)
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Fishing for inf0
Aug 11th, 2008, 11:23am

Hi;

I am a West Coast (Lompoc) export that landed in Richmond, Va. My Brothers and I are planning a family reunion in Santa Barbara in July of 2009 and I am anxious to try some saltwater surf fishing with my fly rod.  

Freshwater trout are my primary target, but I get out several times a year to wade flats in the Chesapeake Bay for puppy drum, flounder, speckled trout and anything else with fins. I have only done a little actual surf fishing with the fly rod and I am looking for answers to a whole lot of questions as to what to expect out there at that time of year.

Really would be interested in throwing at a Corbina. We get croaker back here but a big one would be two pounds. From what I have found so far on the web Corbina get bigger than that and often times it is sight casting. Sound like fun -- I can feel my knees shaking already.

If anybody would like to help with my education, here are my first few questions:

What kind of water do you look for for Corbina -- calm and flat, the whte water from a crashing wave or the trough behind a breaking wave?

Can I expect to find them in mid July?

Is the area around SB fairly good for them or do I need to look further south?

Is it best to fish an outgoing or incoming tide?

Are they a low-light species that I will do better on fishing early morning and at dusk?

I got more, but I will start with those.

Any and all help appreciated.

Anybody comng back this way needs information I will be glad to either answer or put you in touch with someone who can.

Thanks

9ft4wt

" When it comes to cults, fly fishing isn't much different than most. Simply put, this means that enough is never enough. With luck you can reach a pleasant level of mellow fanaticism... " Ed Engle
  IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Fishing for inf0
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2008, 9:51am

Quote from 9ft4wt on Aug 11th, 2008, 11:23am:

What kind of water do you look for for Corbina -- calm and flat, the whte water from a crashing wave or the trough behind a breaking wave?

All of the above. You may even see Corbina a few feet from you in inches of water. The shallow flat areas that hold water as the wave recedes are a good place to look for Corbina.

Quote:

Can I expect to find them in mid July?

July should be good.

Quote:

Is the area around SB fairly good for them or do I need to look further south?

Santa Barbara area is very good.

Quote:

Are they a low-light species that I will do better on fishing early morning and at dusk?

The best time and conditions to fish for Corbina varies. Of course it's easiest to spot them when the sun is high. Keep in mind that Corbina are often hooked on blind casts so spotting is not essential but a lot of fun.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2008, 7:26am

Thanks, Joe.

Can I throw a few more at you?

You guys recommend, sinking, intermediate or floating lines? I know back here for the surf we generally go with sinking lines in the surf and intermnediate on the flats.

What about leaders? I know for sinking lines to go short, but I saw a post somewhere talking about 22 foot leaders for Corbina. I have used long leaders for tailwater dry fly fishing. but how the heck do you build a 22 foot leader that will turn over a Clouser?

Are they extremely spooky fish? Do you have to stay back up on the beach and make long cast like in snook fishing? (I have been snook fishing on the beach twice, saw fish both times but.... well that's a long story)

That's all for now. Don't want to abuse your generoisty too soon or too fast. Roll Eyes I ain't done on corbina yet and still need to ask about halibut and other things that swim in the sea.

Thanks

9ft4wt

" When it comes to cults, fly fishing isn't much different than most. Simply put, this means that enough is never enough. With luck you can reach a pleasant level of mellow fanaticism... " Ed Engle
  IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2008, 10:22am

Quote from 9ft4wt on Aug 15th, 2008, 7:26am:

You guys recommend, sinking, intermediate or floating lines? I know back here for the surf we generally go with sinking lines in the surf and intermnediate on the flats.

For the most part you will need to get your line down through the surf action fast and make quick casts so shooting heads with running line or lines with integrated shooting head will be the choice.  On some ocasions, when the fish are in skinny water, an intermediate with a long leader may be the ticket. Important thing is to be able to keep the slack out of your line and keep contact with the fly.

Quote:

What about leaders? I know for sinking lines to go short, but I saw a post somewhere talking about 22 foot leaders for Corbina. I have used long leaders for tailwater dry fly fishing. but how the heck do you build a 22 foot leader that will turn over a Clouser?

I use up to a 12' leader and have no problem turning it over; I often use two flies and still don't have any problem. The typical clouser type fly you may be using will be small, maybe even a size 6 or 8. These present no problems even with a 6 weight, although 7 or 8 wt are often the choice rod weight. Even size 4 or 2 can be managed with the 6. Keep in mind, a good fast rod with some muscle is ideal for this type of fishing. If you want even more "stealth" you can use a line with a clear intermediate head.

Quote:

Are they extremely spooky fish? Do you have to stay back up on the beach and make long cast like in snook fishing? (I have been snook fishing on the beach twice, saw fish both times but.... well that's a long story)

Yes they are spooky. Staying back and, while often you will spot them very close in,  the ability to make long accurate casts can come in handy. As Yogi Berra would say it may be: "deja vu, all over again"  Grin

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2008, 6:02am

Joe:  

Thanks, again.  

Are the other species you get from the surf -- halibut, perch etc... all taken in about the same places and on the same flies? I guess what I am asking, is do I specifically have to target corbina or halibut, or am I likely to catch all the species with the same setup?

You mentioned Clousers, what colors are most effective? Any other flies I should have in my arsenal?

Do you do much wading in the surf or is  most of the fishing done right from the beach?

Finally, how is your neck of the woods faring with the fires. Saw mention of several in the Los Padres, but it is a huge area and I could find no mention of any up your way but did see the forest was closed. I used to do quite a bit of backpacking up around the Sisquoc and was just curious.

thanks again.

9ft4wt

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2008, 11:32am

Quote from 9ft4wt on Aug 19th, 2008, 6:02am:

Are the other species you get from the surf -- halibut, perch etc... all taken in about the same places and on the same flies? I guess what I am asking, is do I specifically have to target corbina or halibut, or am I likely to catch all the species with the same setup?

There are quite a few species in the surf zone including sharks. While there are some differences you will have a chance for all of them when fishing the surf.

Quote:

You mentioned Clousers, what colors are most effective? Any other flies I should have in my arsenal?

Chartreuse and white is one of my favorites, so is olive and white. Flies with orange and lots of flash are a must. Imitations of sand crabs and  bonefish flies like crazy charley are also good to have.

Quote:

Do you do much wading in the surf or is most of the fishing done right from the beach?

While at times it is advantages to stay higher up, you can count on getting wet.

Quote:

Finally, how is your neck of the woods faring with the fires. Saw mention of several in the Los Padres, but it is a huge area and I could find no mention of any up your way but did see the forest was closed. I used to do quite a bit of backpacking up around the Sisquoc and was just curious.

This time of year is fire season. For up to date reports on forest fires here and throughout the US, use this site:

http://www.inciweb.org/

I believe the one you are referring to is the Santa Lucia Lightning Com Wildland Fire east of Santa Maria:

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/1474/

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2008, 5:59am

Thanks again, Joe.

What is the attitude on keeping corbina for the table?  

Do you guys encourage all C&R?  

I haven't checked the regs yet on size and limits, (I got 11 months to do that), but I realize that just because there is a limit that it is not always best for the resource to eat your limit.

Are they a solitary fish in the surf or to they tend to run in schools?

Going out to try for 20 pound plus cats on the fly this weekend and have a Spanish trip on the Bay next Wed. Hope you get out.

9ft4wt

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2008, 11:25am

Quote from 9ft4wt on Aug 22nd, 2008, 5:59am:

What is the attitude on keeping Corbina for the table?

Do you guys encourage all C&R?

I haven't checked the regs yet on size and limits, (I got 11 months to do that), but I realize that just because there is a limit that it is not always best for the resource to eat your limit.

I have seen the decline of fisheries as the population grows. I firmly believe if the Corbina were easy to catch they would be scarce at best. I don't know right off hand what the regs are on Corbina because I release them. I feel most fly fishers would agree but that's not the case with bait fishers. In California, the fishing pressure is stressing all the fisheries because of the large and ever increasing population. Furthermore, there are other factors putting pressure on the fishery. The State's declining financial situation means less money for enforcement, which is already inadequate. Poaching is a serious and common problem. Another factor is water. The most valuable resource in this state is water. It fuels the number one industry, agriculture and the very large building and development industry can't build homes without water allotments. The later builds more homes for more people and .... you get the picture. In the end there is less and less water for fish and more pollution,  which brings to mind another factor you may want to consider; fish harvested in the tidal and inshore zones are filled with cysts, thanks to all the people and the pollution they create which ultimately ends up in the ocean. Thorough cooking may them safe to eat but, in my opinion, it doesn't make them very appetizing. How do you like your cysts cooked?

Quote:

Are they a solitary fish in the surf or to they tend to run in schools?

They are often spotted in groups.

Quote:

Going out to try for 20 pound plus cats on the fly this weekend and have a Spanish trip on the Bay next Wed. Hope you get out.

Sounds like fun!

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
9ft4wt

A catfish is a fish,
but a trout is a
good cigar

Reply #8 - Aug 22nd, 2008, 12:28pm

Joe:

Catch and release it is. I can't remember the last time I actually kept a fish, anyway.  

9ft4wt

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print