Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2017, 12:04am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NEW ZEALAND - a couple of photos (Read 2142 times)
Bob Merrilees

Semper Fi

NEW ZEALAND - a couple of photos
Jul 7th, 2008, 6:28pm

Taken on the same day in May, 2006 near Lake Taupo (North Island) NZ

This beauty went about 5 pounds (they don't do length in NZ). Taken between the Swirl pool and the Bain pool on the Tongariro River in the middle of spawning season. Many Kiwis do "wetlining" (pull streamers) here but this one was taken on an egg pattern.

This is my masterpiece (so far). It doesn't look much bigger than the fish in the photo above, but this one weighed 8.5 pounds. I took this gem on the Hinemaia River on a 6wt rod using a 5 pound tippet (lucky lucky lucky). It took over 30 minutes to land this baby and ended with a run downstream with me in hot pursuit. The pool that we ended up in was littered with downed trees so I had to literally point the rod at the fish and horse it in or lose it to the snags.

I will be fishing in New Zealand in December and January. If you want to go along, email me or give me a call at 805.484.8846

« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2008, 10:31am by Bob Merrilees »  
Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: NEW ZEALAND - a couple of photos
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2008, 9:38am

Thanks for posting the great pictures Bob  Smiley

Your trip this winter (summer in NZ) sounds great. I just wish one could get half way around the world without spending half their savings.

Bob, I noticed that you posted your e-mail address and it is different than your e-mail button link? It's best not to post an e-mail address because it can be harvested. Your profile needs to be corrected to reflect the correct e-mail address so the emali button will be correct; that way you don't half to post an address.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
jburk
Board Member
SBF Club Member

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2008, 2:24pm

Great fish Bob.   Ever go to the Rotoroa lodge on the NW area of the South Island?  Do they rent cars with automatic transmissions now?--hard enough driving without adding the stick shift.
NZ is on my list but can't go now.

John

IP Logged
Bob Merrilees

Semper Fi

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2008, 6:41pm

Hi John,

I've been to Rotorua several times but never to fish. I usually fish the rivers around Lake Taupo and the east cape when I am in the central North Island. When I was there last January, I saw an article in a magazine that showed some huge browns caught in Rotorua which is somewhat unusual because the NI is noted for it's rainbows.

Sure, you can rent a Land Cruiser with automatic if you like. In fact FWD sticks are getting hard to come by. Most of the vehicles entering the country are used and come from Japan. My truck was (is) one of them.

Hope you make it there soon.  IMHO, in 20 years it won't be worth the plane fare.

bob

Email   IP Logged
jburk
Board Member
SBF Club Member

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2008, 8:10pm

Bob,

It is not Rotorua--it is Lake Rotoroa in the northeastern part of the South Island.  There is a very nice lodge right on the lake and river nearby.  Check in to it some time--it is first class.
My Best,
John

IP Logged
Bob Merrilees

Semper Fi

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2008, 9:57pm

Ah ha. Yes, I had been aware of Lake Rotoroa but not the lodge. I missed "South" Island and thought you misspelled Rotorua. Haven't been there though except to drive by enroute from the West Coast to Nelson. I have never had occasion to fish the Nelson Lakes area except for a quick trip to the upper reaches of the Wairau which is kind of on the periphery of that region.

I usually spend 6 to 8 weeks in NZ, all but a few days of it in hotels, so I have to watch my budget. When I am alone, I can usually get something decent for $80 to $100 (NZ) per night. Maybe when we can buy the Kiwi dollar for 41 cents like we did back in 2001 I'll treat my wife and myself to a few nights there.

Thanks for the suggestion.

bob

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print